Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else's baby had very severe baby acne? I'm starting to wonder if it's an allergic reaction to something, although the pediatrician said it's baby acne and it's normal. There's not a centimeter of the left side of his face that isn't covered in bumps this morning, and it's even spread to the upper part of his back. Neither of my other babies had *anything* like this.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
DS3 had that - it went so far as his legs even! When it hadn't cleared at 3 months I took all dairy out of my diet - previously had been doing only the obvious ones like milk, cheese, yogurt which *had* helped his screaming but at 3 months took all out like modified milk ingredients and whey and his rash disappeared! Now, at 6.5 months, if I even have the slightest bit of modified milk ingredients or similar, he gets the rash all over again. And it does look like baby acne.<br><br>
So you could try an elimination diet to see if that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Owen has bad acne--much worse than my other kids. It sounds like it's not quite as bad as you are describing--it is often only on one side of his head or the other. Rarely is it bad everywhere. I'm wondering about allergies, too--especially contact sensitivities to materials, detergents, etc... We've also had a lot of problems in his diaper region--I've not been able to get my cloth diapers to work for him--too rashy.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My second son had severe baby acne. It went from his scalp down to his shoulders and a little beyond. At one point, I swore every single pore on his face had a pimple in it. It also hung around for a long time, though I don't remember how long. It did clear and he has had beautiful skin for a long time (he's 3 now).

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
My first dd had something similar...everyone said it looked like baby acne but it just wouldn't go away. Around three months I cut out dairy and eggs and her skin cleared. We've since learned that she has eczema with food triggers.<br><br>
You may want to eliminate a few common allergens or check out any contact allergens (laundry soap, baby soap, something in your clothing that may get on babe when they rest on your shoulder, etc). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My LO had the same thing...all over the face and down to the shoulders starting at 2 weeks. I wondered if it was prickly heat, a pet allergy, reaction to something I ate, the doctor told me that he was reacting to my hormones coming through my milk and that it would go away...a few weeks later, it did.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My little guy had pretty severe baby acne too. My midwife and NP kept saying it would go away by 6 or 7 weeks, but it didn't. I cut out dairy to see if that was the culprit, and it cleared right up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
had to chime in and say my ds2 also had what you are describing and i was also told it was "only baby acne." it did not go away and morphed into eczema. after cutting dairy, eggs, and wheat (all gluten actually) it improved. i cut diary first since ds1 had an intolerance to dairy that he out grew...ds2 out grew his too. we have since learned he has many allergies. looking back i wish i would have tried an elimination diet sooner and possibly cut down on some of his reactions. currently, ds2 skin tests positive to wheat, rice, egg, tree nut, peanut, coconut and soy. just our story...good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts