Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm really naive, but I didn't think there was so much violence in kids' shows that you wouldn't expect to be violent. I mean, I expect Power Rangers and a lot of those "boy" shows to be violent (sorry, that was kind of sexist), but yesterday my daughter asked if she could watch something different and saw that "Kim Possible" was on the Disney Channel. Now, we never really watch the Disney Channel, and when we have, it was when she was in preschool and watched really cute, wholesome shows such as "Bear In The Big Blue House."<br><br>
I guess I was stupid enough to think that a channel that runs shows like that wouldn't have anything truly offensive for kids. So I let her see it. Well, man, what a difference from the "Playhouse Disney" stuff. First of all, there were three commercial breaks. DD doesn't usually watch commercials. But then the show was full of physical violence. The main character is like a secret agent or something but she actually fights the bad guys instead of outsmarting them or something. I like the idea of a strong girl character like that but the whole fighting thing really surprised me. I guess I am just unfamiliar with mainstream kids' television!<br><br>
Usually DD watches PBS shows or some of the HBO Family stuff on demand. She's six, and she's sort of outgrowing some of the things she watches (she probably watches, on average, about five hours a week total), so I'm looking for new things. I'm going to have to start taping things like Reading Rainbow and other good shows that are on when she's at school. I wish the Anne of Green Gabl;es animated series hadn't been cancelled in our area.<br><br>
What shows do your 6 - 8 year-olds watch, if any?

·
Registered
782 Posts
My son isnt 6 yet, but you are so right on. What I can't get over is watching the disney channel and ya think cause its a cartoon it would be...ok, when all they do is fight or worse for me, talk about who they think is hot. sheesh.<br><br>
I have to tell ds just cause its a cartoon doesnt meen you can watch it. They are mostly for teen agers.<br><br>
Why oh why wont he watch Bear in the Big Blue House anymore?...sigh.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My kids really like shows that are interactive, where you can learn a craft or a skill like Zoom or Finger Tips. We really like to watch nature shows together on the National Geogrphic chanel too.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I'm also surprised by the amount of sexual suggestion on "safe" PBS shows. Have you ever noticed how at the beginning of <i>Between the Lions</i>, the dad lion says, "Hey, that was fun, I could do it at least once a day," and then the mom lion giggles and says in a suggestive voice, "We already do." Also, sex doctor Dr. Ruth is on that show as "the word doctor." While it might seem "cute," it's also a little weird.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
My big kids are watching Mentors and Biography for Kids. No way would I let them watch the punky sexist Tv crap that's on some places.<br><br>
They also watch Classic National Geographic episodes with me and dh as a family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts