Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really struggling with heartburn. The only time I used to get it was when I was either pregnant or if I ate a high carb food.<br><br>
I now eat low carb foods and my heartburn has been gone until the past few weeks and it's back with a vengeance. I can't trace it to any specific food but I am planning on giving up cheese to see if that helps.<br><br>
What I've tried so far:<br>
1/2 tsp baking soda in water - only works for a short time.<br>
Apple cider vinegar - exacerbates the problem<br>
2oz aloe vera juice daily - no significant difference noted<br>
I do eat 1/2 cup plain, full fat yogurt every day, I take probiotics and I just started taking digestive enzymes but, I've only been taking these for a few days but so far, no difference.<br>
Tums is the only thing that consistently works but I don't want to rely on Tums.<br><br>
I do know that heartburn is a sign of heart attack in women but this comes and goes - I can go a couple days with out it and then have it for one day really bad but it is easily relieved with two tums so I'm not really concerned about the heart attack issue but if it continues I will get that aspect checked out.<br><br>
I would desperately appreciate any help or ideas you might have. I really, really don't want to go on medication but, the heartburn can cause damage and so I'm hoping to get it under control myself.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
What I would do is fast for a day and sip warm water with a bit of cayenne pepper and honey all day long. Cayenne pepper is very healting and good for the stomach.<br><br>
The next day start with something really mild like very soft apple sauce. Then maybe a soup. Later on a piece of toast. .... wee portions and eat every hour or so.<br><br>
I would cut out all dairy especially milk and anything that is heavy like peanut butter.<br><br>
You have to give your stomach a chance to calm down.<br><br>
Tums are no good they contain aluminum which is linked to Alzheimer's.<br><br>
jmo

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have you tried peppermint - Peppermint tea always helps my tummy and I think there is actually a 'tummy tea' that I bought at Whole Foods.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would definitely try cutting out some foods. Bananas give me heart burn, and it took me a long time to figure it out. If I eat one banana I'm fine, but if I eat them regularly I get heartburn.<br><br>
Peppermint tea is supposed to be good for digestion, but it gives me heartburn. You could try it, though.<br><br>
Good luck! I know heartburn is so awful. I hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your thoughts! I tried the ceyene pepper tonight and it worked! I had chicken broth with ceyene mixed in and it really seemed to help. I also just had eggs for dinner and so far, so good.<br><br>
Tomorrow starts no dairy for me. I will be so sad if dairy is the culprit since I adore cream and cheese but, I guess giving it up is better than living with this horrible burning.<br><br>
Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Don't use pepperment for reflux....<br><br><a href="http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/peppermint-000269.htm" target="_blank">http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/p...int-000269.htm</a><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Peppermint tea is generally a safe way to soothe an upset stomach. However, peppermint should not be used by those with gastoesophageal reflux disease (GERD -- a condition in which stomach acids back up into the esophagus) even though some of the symptoms include indigestion and heartburn. This is because peppermint can relax the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, allowing stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus. (The sphincter is the muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach.) By relaxing the sphincter, peppermint may actually worsen the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion.</td>
</tr></table></div>
My dd last episode of reflux was caused by the gum she was chewing/getting at a friends house...pepperement of course.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
If it is suddenly worse you might want a doctor to look into the situation. My dh and dd both have GERD issues. My diet works really well for them but with my dh when it "flared" up non-stop it means his lower esophogus and taken a hit and it is time for perscription drugs.<br><br>
If you are cutting carbs you might have added a little to much fat in your diet. Fatty meats are a no-no in our house.<br><br>
You might want to do something as simple as going for a short walk after meals.<br><br>
Look if you are doing things to cause you to swallow more air like chewing gum, eating fast, smoking, et.... posture while eating can help prevent reflux.<br><br>
Keep a food diery.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your thoughts.<br><br>
I had an idea - I wonder if it's all the vitamins I take? Specificially, I'm wondering if it's all the vitamin C I take? I take it in the form of ascorbic acid and rose hips. I take 2000mg in the morning and 2000mg in the evenings. I know Vit C is very acidic so I'm wondering if that's not the culprit? Especially in combination with all the other vitamins I take:<br>
A multi<br>
fish oil<br>
Vit D (2000mg)<br>
Folic Acid<br>
B Complex<br>
Lycopene - Hmmm - it could be this too - it's tomato derived<br>
2 drops of Beta-Plex (liquid beta-carotene)<br>
1 aspirin - could be this too<br><br>
I'm going to stop all supplements and all dairy today and just have chicken broth with cayenne pepper (that really helped last night) for the day and then go from there. Thank you again!

·
Registered
361 Posts
You could also try putting the baking soda in the ACV. I saw that on a website somewhere. The baking soda, which is a base, neutralizes the ACV.<br><br>
My father has severe heartburn. He has controled it by not drinking coffee (which was hard for him to give up). He also eats his "big" meal at lunch and eats very lightly after 4. He also will eat raw garlic. And he swears this works.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update in case anyone else is struggling with heartburn. I didn't take any supplements (other than the probiotics and digestive enzymes) last night or this morning and so far (knock on wood) I'm not having any heartburn at all. I also didn't have any cream in my coffee but, after researching it seems the culprit isn't so much cream as it is the casein in cheese so I may add the cream back in tomorrow (I love my coffee with cream). I also am drinking aloe vera juice to try to heal my esophagus which feels a bit raw. But, so far so good!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you are going to do the cream, I suggest heavy cream because it is all cream while half and half is milk and cream. Many people who have trouble with dairy can tolerate heavy cream and butter because it is just the fat and not the protein (like casein).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts