Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi all. I am trying to help my DH to understand the reason for rfing as long as possible and the reason for not using a booster at THREE, like he thinks we should do with our DS since "other people do". Now, we homebirth, co-sleep, EBF, CD, etc, and he is cool and understands it all, but THIS is a struggle for him. I really don't know why. Anyways, I know that I can show him the crash test videos of rfing vs ffing, but is there anything else that I can show him? How about for delaying booster use? I haven't found much other than the 5 test thing. I need something showing proof, or evidence or something really convincing haha. I've tried explaining it, but I'm not good with the technicalities and terms with car seat safety. I ESPECIALLY want my kids safe, because we live in SoCal and spend most of the driving time on dangerous freeways. I understand how it can all be hard to understand. I myself remember riding in the back of pickup trucks on country roads, and of my Grandma putting me in the front seat on a stack of towels at probably age 4ish. (the horror!). So, any links, etc for showing DH the evidence? Thanks :D</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>not a link or anything, but young kids in boosters have a tendency to unbuckle themselves. I'm sure many moms on here have more resources to give you. </p>

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
<p>I have no idea how this would work for you, but my husband periodically brings up FF/Booster/putting the seat back further/etc.   And I give him the option of a) trusting my judgement, since I've researched this or b) sitting down with me and watching crash test videos demonstrating head excursion, internal decapitation, etc. etc.     He opts for a). </p>

·
Registered
796 Posts
<p>The unbuckling thing is a big one. We have booster seats as backups in DH's car for our six and almost five year old. It's ok for quick trips on base to the grocery store or for hair cuts but I'm only ok with that because there are plenty of places to pull over if they unbuckle (unlike a freeway) and the speed limit is 15 to 30 mph with pretty safe drivers. When we go off base they are in their radians. They have no problem being buckled and really don't know that other kids their age are in boosters all the time. It's no big deal. Why not keep things as safe as possible for as long as possible? When in their boosters they not only unbuckle but they also put the seat belt behind their backs.</p>

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
<p>So, this comes up occassionally with my DH as well at which point I a) ask him why he'd ever consider convenience and "other people doing it" more important than DS's safety and b) quote some sort of statistic that I only vaguely remember about Scandinavians RFing until four years old and having five times fewer serious accidents/deaths while RFing (don't quote me on that because I read it so long ago I'm not so sure its accurate, but I do keep quoting it anyhow!!). </p>

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
<p>Have him watch this: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04</a> (If the link doesn't work, just google Belle's Gift.) It is about a three year old who died in a car accident while in a booster. I can't remember the circumstances of the accident (and can't watch the video again because it's too sad) but it wasn't a really bad accident, everyone else in the car walked away. She either submarined under the seat belt or was killed by internal injuries from the seat belt. It's thought she would have been just fine had she been in a 5 pt harness. Her parents put together the video to educate parents about the importance of harnessing for three year olds.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts