Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a LONG time since I've been here, and am hoping that I can get some advice or reassurance about my wonderfully sweet 5.5 yo DS.

He's having an incredibly difficult time in kindergarten - specifically with following the rules and making good choices. He actually was suspended yesterday for one day for pulling his pants down in the hallway in front of 60 kids. When I asked him WHY he did this, his explanation was that he got the idea from a library book where a giant's pants fall down - apparently the other boys in his class thought that was hilarious, and DS wanted to make them laugh too. After he was talked to by the teacher who witnessed it, DS did it a second time because one of his friends missed it the first time - this second time is what resulted in the suspension. There are lots of other examples I could give, where he has just made incredibly poor choices. When he makes these choices, he can very articulately verbalize what he did wrong, why he shouldn't have done it etc...just not WHY he did it.

He's a bit behind with his fine and gross motor skills (but according to both the PT and OT eval, he's within "normal" limits for his age, just on the lower end) - so I'm thinking some of his acting out is due to his need to overcompensate....plus he seems to have little to no impulse control, and he loves to make people laugh. Academically, he's doing fine - and in fact, I suspect he's a bit bored, which also doesn't help, but the school doesn't seem to agree with me on this point.

We do not have these issues at home (for the most part), and he didn't have them at daycare prior to starting school, which makes it all the more difficult for me to deal with because I have never had to worry about his behavior before.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to over-react, but I don't want to under-react either. I'm floundering a bit and don't have any idea as to how to deal with this.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.