Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this the other day - it totally takes away any respect I once had for Nader. I wouldn't be surprised of he's getting a bit of $$ from the Repub's for his efforts to run.....

From here:
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...oregonian?fpfp

"Groups allied with President Bush are encouraging their conservative members to do the seemingly unthinkable: attend a convention Saturday to help put left-leaning independent candidate Ralph Nader on the Oregon presidential ballot.

The groups -- with the encouragement of some Republican political operatives -- are telling their members that Nader would draw votes from Democrat Sen. John Kerry and boost Bush's chances of winning Oregon. "

More here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...oregonian?fpfp

Talk about a spoiler! I've come to the conclusion that Nader is just as much of the problem with politics as anyone...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
In my State (yesterday) a poll showed that the split was like 48%Bush 46%Kerry 5%Nader (1%undecided)....in that same poll, without Nader, that 5% went to KERRY.

It is NO suprise to me ! This morning that charges are flying regarding illegal contributions to the NADER campaign from the BUSH camp.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._el_pr/nader_4

With Nader in the picture, Bush will win : and I am convinced that NADER KNOWS THAT

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'm really hoping that Nader is just trying to get into the debates, to raise pertinent issues, etc, and then will pull out before the election, giving support to Kerry...
I'd love to vote for Nader, but I will honestly be shocked and devastated if Bush wins. I really hate to think what message that would send to the world -- that the american people are actually supportive of the Bush admin's quest for global domination. Don't these Bush supporters ever wonder why the terrorists are attacking us in the first place? Oh yeah, jealousy. What a load of crap!!! My very first thought upon hearing of the 9/11 attack was "what the hell is that rat bastard up to?" Oops, off topic...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffani
I'm really hoping that Nader is just trying to get into the debates, to raise pertinent issues, etc, and then will pull out before the election, giving support to Kerry...
Nope. I think he believes it will take a major catastrophe (such as would follow w/4 more years of Bush) to slap us out of our collective catatonic trance.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomom
Nope. I think he believes it will take a major catastrophe (such as would follow w/4 more years of Bush) to slap us out of our collective catatonic trance.
I agree, I also think that it is unbelievably arrogant and irresponsible of him to run with that belief and with the idea that he can hasten the political change in this country by helping to bring about it's ruin. There is too much at stake, too many LIVES at stake to play that game.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Nadar appears, though, to think that the US *is* already past redemption, and the fastest way to get the majority see that is to put Bush in for four more years.

Last election (2000) conservatives were the ones who paid for Nader's t.v. commercials. *This* is why I wouldn't vote for Nader--- I don't respect him any more.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2
Nadar appears, though, to think that the US *is* already past redemption, and the fastest way to get the majority see that is to put Bush in for four more years.

Last election (2000) conservatives were the ones who paid for Nader's t.v. commercials. *This* is why I wouldn't vote for Nader--- I don't respect him any more.

I'm with you TiredX2... I think he's just part of the machinery now. And in fact, worse because he willingly is complicite with the Repubs. I agree with you too mahdokht, too many lives are at stake here to get your ego all in a bunch like Mr. Nader. He's a waste of time and energy and just trying to suck some juice from the Dems. I'd love to see a real third party candadate when the times are not quite so desparate. Heck, I voted for the very first Green candidate back in 1980. But, now is not the time... and Nader is certainly not the person for me.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Hey, guys- Nader is not the Green Party candidate this time. I don't think Nader is the problem, don't think he was last time. Five percent last time. This time he'll be lucky to get one percent. As an independent, he's not going to have an easy time getting on the ballot in all states.

My opinion- neither Nader nor Nader voters are the problem. I support a multi-party system and choices. I may not vote third party, but I support the rights of third parties to exist and Nader to run for President.

(I'll vote Kerry myself this time)

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Quote:
Conservatives give money to the D's also. Just not as much as they give the R's.

In the political spectrum, those with all the money cover all the bases. "just in case" kwim?

Perhaps it is reverse phsycology, get everyone pissed at him so they get off their ass and vote dem.

But.................the fact remains for me that the dems have a problem with the left and I don't yet see them addressing it - Kerry is not the man for me! I am curious to see how they treat Kucinich at the primary. He has not dropped out of the race (I know he won't get a nom, but I wish to *hear* his voice in the platform)

And..........finally............there will be many more 3rd party candidates. Nadar has maintained that he is in mainly to remind everyone that there are *other* choices. We are here with Bush bcuz of not recognizing that earlier. We let the D's and R's turn our system into a fraud.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Didn't Nader just come out bitching about the Greens too? Or at least seeming rather irritated and saying that they are no different than the Dems?

Thought I read about that somewhere.

I could be mistaken.
Joyce in the mts.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
I agree, I also think that it is unbelievably arrogant and irresponsible of him to run with that belief and with the idea that he can hasten the political change in this country by helping to bring about it's ruin. There is too much at stake, too many LIVES at stake to play that game.
Mahdokht, I completely agree! If it were just a matter of principles and ideals (which IMO are very important), I would feel different. But you are right, there are so many LIVES at stake, I'm not sure how anyone can get by that fact.

The more I read about what's happening with the Nader / Repub. connection in Oregon, the more adamant I feel that he's a serious liability.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Note: I'm registered as a Republican and have an ABB daughter who is considering Nader.

I have talked with her because a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. She is so strongly ABB that I think this vote wouldn't reflect her wishes.

....I *think* I convinced her to hold her nose and vote for Kerry.

Oy-vey.

Debra Baker

·
Registered
942 Posts
The one thing I really hate about this news coverage with Nader is, Once again it's making us fear the voting system. I personally do not think Bush won because Nader was on the ballot before; he's not going to win again because of Nader.

However, I still truly believe in voting for the person who is closest to your beliefs is the only way to go. I am no coward who is going to vote out of fear. I hope others feel the same way. I'm sick of the media and politics making us fear into choices we would not normally choose. It's crap.

At this point I have no idea who I will vote for. I know it will not be bush, and honestly, probably will not be Kerry. The only part of him I really like is his wife. Heh. I believe we should have more to choose from, and I'm sick of these parties scaring the crap out of other parties, and their voters.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Els' 3 Ones

And..........finally............there will be many more 3rd party candidates. Nadar has maintained that he is in mainly to remind everyone that there are *other* choices. We are here with Bush bcuz of not recognizing that earlier. We let the D's and R's turn our system into a fraud.
This made me think of a conversation I was having with a neighbor last night. She pointed out that a large part of how the Repubs (Christian conservatives esp.) have gotten so much power is that they've had a long range plan - by starting small -i.e. getting onto school boards, local councils, etc. - essentially grassroots, then building on that base with a 30 year plan. My neighbors theory was that the Greens should be approaching it the same way. Building influence slowly rather than going straight for the top. Certainly, if you approach politics like an organic organism, lasting change does come slowly, building strength. While the Greens have been out there for the past 20+ years, I don't know how concerted their efforts have been. They have been slowly gaining ground. Hopefully more to come!

As far as Nadar and *other* choices, well realistically in this upcomming election there are two choices for better or worse. And Bush is just not an option I care to even imagine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.