Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week, ds (10 mo) has become more needy (for lack of a better word). the situation usually goes like this: we're playing together; i then walk even just to the other side of the family room; as soon as he sees that i'm not right by him, he goes over to the "fence" that's up to keep him in the baby-safe area & screams/cries. As soon as i go to him, he quiets and goes back to playing. Most of the time, he doesn't even seem interested in playing WITH me (that can make him cry a bit sometimes).

He has not been like this before - he's been happy playing with me, then being without me right by him for a bit, then being right with me again, etc. So, i'm confused. Is it separation anxiety? If so, isn't seeing me in the same room reassuring to him? Is it a phase? I guess i'm at a loss as what to do & hoping some of you can help shed some light...Thank you!!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
sounds normal to me. not much help i guess, but my first wouldn't sit on the floor by herself for the longest time. i would imagine he just wants to be where you are and is thwarted by the baby gate. can you baby proof the rest of the area? my dd1 needed to be right with me til she was about 2 it seems like :LOL. my dd2 will go toddling off down the hall on her own w/o a care in the world. just different personalities.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Is he teething or not feeling well? I know my DD, when she's not feeling well wants me near her at all times. Could be the start of separation anxiety. She went through a bit of a phase like that for about a month or so. Once in awhile she still does it.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
if it's new behavior, it could be that he's about to hit a major developmental milestone, and it will pass once he's more confident in whatever it is that he's learning to do. walking, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
No help here, but my DS is 10 months and starting to do the same thing. He's never had separation anxiety before-loves everyone-but is even starting to have a little stranger anxiety right now. He is also getting really upset when an outcome doesn't happen as he thinks it will. Ex: DH always gives him a massage after his bath, then I feed him. If I walk in to feed him, then turn to pick something up before sitting down, he'll get upset because I haven't gone to him immediately to feed. Interesting that it might a sign he's about to hit a milestone. He's cruising, but not walking. Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stafl - I didn't even think about the milestone thing! He just started standing on his own the other day, so perhaps the extra clinging will subside soon. He's always teething it seems, but only has 1 tooth partway in.

Nosy...our babes sounds so similar. ds is also expressing his feelings strongly when things don't go even slightly as he wants. It's a whole new stage, and frustrating for me mainly b/c it's hard to know what to do - give him what he's crying for (me even when i just need 2 minutes to do something away from him; the toy that he's been pounding on the wood floor & so i take away b/c the sound is driving me crazy; etc) or try to distract him (not working very well anymore), or talk to him about how he might be feeling and then continue with what i'm doing (and so he cries, so not really s/t i'm doing).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am here, right now, reading this post in a "sanity break" from my 12mo. old who is going through the exact same stage right now. In fact, she is in the living room where she can see me on the puter yet will FREAK OUT in a sec when she realizes I have left the carpeted area next to her.

I keep telling myself its a phase...that she has not always been like this and that she will eventually come out of it. But some days it's REALLY hard.

She could be very well teething since she hasn't gotten a tooth in in a long time...but whatever it is I hope it goes away soon!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My 9 month ds has just started acting that way, too. He won't play in a room by himself unless he can see me. It does seem to depend on his state of mind at the time, though. Like if he's starting to get tired or hungry or his nose is running (doing that LOTS right now) then he wants me to be right by him on the floor. Otherwise I can just be in the room with him and he'll play for a while. I think it may have something to with milestones, too. He is just starting to crawl and still is very pensive about it. He has to REALLY want something to crawl to it. And he's had a cold off and on for the past month
: Also, he has gotten 6 teeth in the last month!! Gosh, writing this makes me realize why the poor little fellow needs his mama right now!!

Also, like what Nosy said, he does seem to have a problem with things changing a little. At night he usually eats, then might play a little, then bath, then straight to bed. But the other night bathtime happened too early so dh played quietly with him for 20 minutes before bed. He got so upset when I put him in bed and usually he just goes right down with no crying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.