Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got this idea from Cooking Light. You take a recipe and try to make it little more nutritious - eliminating or substitute the bad ingredients without drastically changing the flavor. I thought this would be a nice challenge here - I sent my recipe to cooking light and they stay have not replied with a makeover (helping me eliminate some of the fat and make it more nutritious).

Example:
Pie Crust (before makeover)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons ice water
brush edges and top of crust with heavy cream

Pie crust (after makeover) Cut some fat and calories
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
brush edges and top of crust with fat-free milk

Every other day a recipe is posted that someone needs made over.
: The challenge is to take the recipe posted and make it nutritious (or lighter) without eliminating the flavor or taste. This also will give some of us new recipes to add to our book. I'm a cheesecake lover and was extremely grateful someone made over my recipe.

Someone please say you're interested in this?
:

NEW RECIPE TO MAKEUNDER
Chicken and Dumplings

2 cups cooked chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 packagae frozen dumplings - cooked in broth from chicken
extra broth

Place 1st four ingredents in crock pot. Add broth to desired consistency. Cook on low 2 hours.

My challenges - 1)replace the soup (actually so far i have been pureeing canned mushrooms in blender with a little cream and that as worked fairly well but I am open to other ideas)
2) the frozen dumplings have hydrogenated oil in them..I need to replace that..but I (and my family) love the texture of the frozen ones and my homemade ones are more "biscuit like"..I have heard of using tortilla strips but don't know how​

· Registered
3,087 Posts
I think it would help to know your nutritional perspective/goals. The ideas of what encompasses a "healthy" or "ideal" diet vary quite widely on these boards - I think, probably, most here wouldn't dream of using shortening though, let alone increasing its content in lieu of butter.

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was an example. It would be a great improvement to have a pie crust recipe that nutritious with whole wheat flour and without shortening. Please post it if you have it.

· Registered
3,087 Posts
Whole foods then, right? What about fat content - are you aiming for a lowfat diet? I think this might be a key point because some here believe low fat is healthy while others believe it's very unhealthy to eat a low fat diet. Some believe animal fats are healthy while others believe they should be avoided completely or drastically reduced.
I know that was just an example, I was just stating the only thing that came to mind that MDC nutrition board frequenters would probably agree on. Well - probably no trans fats, foods as close to their natural source as possible and lots of veggies, so I guess that's 3 things. I figured your example didn't reflect your goals, so that's why I asked.
I think it's an awesome idea.
Depending on your taste buds, in the above recipe you could use coconut oil in place of the shortening or only use butter (I know some people prefer the texture of a shortening crust). But I, too, would be interested in a whole foods version of a real pie crust. I usually use nuts for my pie crusts, lately, and it's just not the same.

· Registered
2,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu_Mommy_2003

Pie crust (after makeover) Cut some fat and calories

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
brush edges and top of crust with fat-free milk

:

i would change this recipe to:

2c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 c cold organic raw cultured butter OR 1/2 c cold org coconut oil
1/8 c or less sucanat, to taste. i think adding a little sugar to pie crust makes it taste soooooooo much better
a couple tbsp ice water

cut butter/oil into flour/sugar/salt mix, and knead until dough is the texture of cornmeal. add more flour or more oil as necessary. add just enugh water so that the dough can form a cohesive ball. brush bottom crust with egg or flour to keep it from getting soggy. brush top crust with butter/oil or milk (cow, soy, breast, whatever) to make it brown nicely.

i like making my dough with all or mostly butter, because it makes it really flaky. ive had great luck with coconut oil too. i used to make desserts for a restaurant, and when i would make the pie crust with shortening, the crust was alway chewy and dense instead of flaky. you can also add cinammon to the dough, or poppy seeds. mmm

i think pie crusts is one of those things that HAS to be high fat, you know?? what makes it healthier is using good for you fats,such as organic butter or coconut oil, instead of hydrogenated oils.

HTH!!!

· Registered
4,897 Posts
Wow, what complicated pie crust recipes. I just use a ratio: a cup of flour, a half-cup of shortening, a quarter cup of water (although I don't measure the water). Scale up as necessary. Works every time, even with ww flour. IMO, pie crust is one of those things that I just don't mess around with; by definition, pie is not going to be health food. And it's certainly better and more wholesome if homemade than anything you can buy frozen or packaged, KWIM?

So there's my piecrust makeunder.
But yes, the original idea -- Cooking-Light-ifying a recipe to make it more healthful and/or lighter -- sounds like fun, so count me in.

~Nick

· Registered
2,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
Wow, what complicated pie crust recipes. I just use a ratio: a cup of flour, a half-cup of shortening, a quarter cup of water (although I don't measure the water). Scale up as necessary. Works every time, even with ww flour. IMO, pie crust is one of those things that I just don't mess around with; by definition, pie is not going to be health food. And it's certainly better and more wholesome if homemade than anything you can buy frozen or packaged, KWIM?

So there's my piecrust makeunder.
But yes, the original idea -- Cooking-Light-ifying a recipe to make it more healthful and/or lighter -- sounds like fun, so count me in.

~Nick
i think you can make a significant change in the healthiness of any dessert by cutting out shortening! high fat does NOT= unhealthy. high fat desserts should certainly be limited, but the guilt factor can be decreased dramatically by using ww flour, healthy fats, less processed sugars, etc

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yay! I just learned something new. I never thought to try coconut oil in a pie crust. My DH is a fruit pie (apple, raspberry, peach) junkie and I prefer he eats homemade then store brought, if he is going to eat them at all KWIM

· Registered
2,172 Posts
My great grandma made piecrust always the same way:

2 cups flour
½ c. oil
1/3 c. milk
½ tsp salt

I use that same recipe for all crusts that I make. I typically use whole wheat flour (pastry flour works best, but I rarely buy it) and expeller pressed canola oil. Butter works well if you cut it in (don't melt it) and reduce the salt if you use salted butter. Since my son is allergic to milk I have used lots of different substitutes for the milk- rice milk, soup broth for a savory pie, and even fresh apple juice (but then I put a little extra fat in to make up for the fat in the milk). It is a pretty adaptable recipe and I have never had it go wrong. The only problem is that it doesn't double well, so you have to make it one recipe at a time.

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay here is a recipe to makeover. One of DH's dishes - the only veggie item he knows how to cook other than boil corn :LOL

Stir-Fry Cabbage
1/2 stick Butter
1 slice bacon
:
1 lb white cabbage
capful of white vinegar
4 tablespoons of water
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 green and red pepper thinly shreded
1 tsp salt

First shred cabbage. second Heat oil in a wok add all ingredients (minus salt) and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add salt and stir few more times. Then add 1 tsp of sesame seed oil and serve hot or cold

Any ideas? DH said the bacon is a must for flavor. Can you eliminate the bacon or substitue(sp?) without changing the flavor?

· Registered
3,087 Posts
I'm sure you could add something to it like soy sauce to kind of give it that salty bite.
I don't believe that bacon's unhealthy, however, so I would leave it as is. Sounds

ETA: I would use something like an unpasteurized rice vinegar in place of the white vinegar though.

· Registered
177 Posts
I don't think it sounds too bad either..YOu could use earth balance instead of butter (if you are trying to avoid dairy) and turkey bacon or turkey sausage which in my opinion has a little more flavor than turkey bacon, instead of regular (wouldn't give as much fat off so you may add a little oil)

· Registered
2,966 Posts
you could cut it down to 1 tbsp butter, or even just use enough to coat the pan. miso could be used instead of bacon for a salty taste.

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Per Kathy Daelmans, you can also change the size of the item/meal. For desserts, she actually makes them smaller (like a 6 inch choc/cherry cheesecake) so you have smaller portions, but still have taste. She has a great cookbook called Cooking Thin, and has great recipes on the Food Network Website. She also has a show on where she goes through one persons meals and makes their favorite foods healthier. I sadly live with the man with the worst diet on the planet and will never change, so I'm constantly in a battle over healthy options.

· Registered
177 Posts
chicken and dumplings

2 cups cooked chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 packagae frozen dumplings - cooked in broth from chicken
extra broth

Place 1st four ingredents in crock pot. Add broth to desired consistency. Cook on low 2 hours.

My challenges - 1)replace the soup (actually so far i have been pureeing canned mushrooms in blender with a little cream and that as worked fairly well but I am open to other ideas)
2) the frozen dumplings have hydrogenated oil in them..I need to replace that..but I (and my family) love the texture of the frozen ones and my homemade ones are more "biscuit like"..I have heard of using tortilla strips but don't know how

1 - 20 of 22 Posts