Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Organic brown sugar and water is simple and natural, and I believe a "glycolic acid". It disolves as you scrub. If organic is too expensive, any sugar will do. Salt is harsh on the skin, but a weekly scrub w/ it is a pimple zapper!
Also, oatmeal and honey is a good gentler scrub, w/ the oatmeal softened in the honey. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
166 Posts
my favorite scrub is:
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup ground rice (grind it in a coffee mill or wheat grinder, or buy rice flour)
1 tsp. lemon rind

I make large batches and use it every day in the shower. Just put a small amount in your hand and add drops of water to make a paste. I love it, and it was the facial scrub that got me into all other kinds of natural beauty care.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,

I just made a scrub this week that I really like to use once every few days or so...

1/4 c glycerine
finely ground salt (enough to make it as 'scrubby' as you like)
water (enough to make it as runny as you like)
I also added a couple drops of tea tree EO and peppermint EO... very refreshing!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I sometimes mix baking soda and tea tree oil in the shower and scrub my face with that or at night, use Cetaphil, baking soda and tea tree oil before going to bed.

I second the brown sugar!

I love, love, LOVE brown sugar for scrubbing my face sometimes (I use baking soda more often though) or I mix it with my usual baking soda. I love it even more for my no-poo routine. It gives my hair volume, shine, and true 'anti-frizz smoothing curl' phenomenon that you can only get with using gobs of Garnier Fructis.

Makes sense, Garnier has Fructose (fruit sugar) and Glucose (sugar) in it

I mix Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner, baking soda, and brown sugar together and no-poo my hair with that. I do the scalp scrub, let it sit for a while and then rinse thorougly. I may put some apple cider vinegar on the bottom of my hair, or some more of the conditioner so the ends aren't dry. Very clean, shiny hair!

Love it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok, which one of these great recipes do y'all recommend for a woman in her early 40s who is just now experiencing (for the FIRST time in her life!!!!!) pimples on her forehead?

I don't want to buy anymore of the chemcial laden products out there. I'd really like to switch to something natural. BUT I also don't want to deal with these zits on my forehead either. Ahhh, vanity...it is my curse.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Try baking soda with tea tree oil and a little warm water, gently scrub and cleanse, rinse; tone with apple cider vinegar; moisturize.

Or

Brown sugar and a pinch of baking soda and a little warm water to cleanse face. Leave the mixture on your face for about 10 minutes or longer. The glycolic acid smooths out and helps acne marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.