Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to roast a chicken for dinner tomorrow night and because it is a big chicken there will be a lot of leftovers, so I plan to make them into something for Monday's dinner, but I don't know what.

What kind of things do you do with leftover chicken? I usually just throw some into some kind of pasta sauce, but I want something more creative than that.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
5,658 Posts
Chicken enchiladas, quesadillas, or tacos
Chicken salads
Chicken in pasta salad
Chicken soup, or tortilla soup with chicken
Chicken sandwiches
Chicken on homemade pizza--this is yummy using barbeque sauce in place of regular tomato sauce

· Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Chicken and vegetable Fried Rice
Chicken and vegetable Stir Fry
Chicken and vegetable Lo Mein

:

· Registered
5,348 Posts
My chicken lasts a few meals. I do it every week, last week I did this:

Roast chicken and eat. Next day I made the broth, and some awesome chicken stew baked with biscuits. Next day I made a little chicken salad with chickpeas and celery and fresh dill.

It varies every week. Every week I roast a chicken and I try not to repeat the ways I use it leftover very often, except for of course the making broth.

The week before I made chicken gyros, chicken carbonara and broth.

The week before that I made pizza with chicken fresh mozza, roasted red pepper and spinach. And the other meal grilled sourdough paninis with chicken bacon and cheddar

· Registered
3,829 Posts
DH likes when I make chicken salad with any leftovers, rare unless I get one of the giant ones pre-cooked.

I add basil, grapes or apples, sunflower seeds, raisens or dried cranberries, and some mayo to hold it all together.

· Registered
9,902 Posts
I usually shred the meat. In addition to the above ideas, I often subtitute shredded chicken in recipes that call for ground beef. We often have chicken tacos or BBQ sandwiches.

· Registered
81 Posts
Chicken casseroles are quick and easy!

Take your chicken and mix it with a block of velveta cheese, a can of cream of chicken soup, broccoli, cooked rice, and a little bit of chicken broth. Put it all in a casserole dish and cook for about 20 minutes at 350 F. Take out, and crumble some cheese crackers on top. Delicious!

· Registered
297 Posts
in addition to all of these yummy suggestions, i would encourage you (if you dont already) to take the carcass at the end of the week and boil it down with veggies and herbs to make a stock. nothing better than homemade stock! Freeze it and use in risottos and soups, or skim the fat off the top and make a big comforting pot of chicken soup!!

Have fun!

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally forgot I started this thread!! We ended up doing a pasta casserole type thing at Dh's request, but I will keep this thread for the future. We still have a big chicken in the freezer that I will probably cook in the next week or two (we bought them from local Hutterites and they are SO good and HUGE!), so I will keep these ideas in mind.

· Registered
8,855 Posts
I do a crockpot meal with leftover chicken. In fact, often I go and freeze the chicken beforehand in about 2C portions to add to the crockpot.

I add the chicken and
1 C light sour cream
1 can condensed cream of mushroom
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 C milk

Then I cook it on high for about three hours until bubbling. Then add 4 C dry egg noodles. About half and hour later I add 2 cups of cooked frozen vegetables. I add those vegetables at the end so they're not soggy. I serve it with grated parmasean. DH LOVES it and requests it everytime we have leftover baked chicken! And, the kids all love it too, even my picky one eats it all up!

· Registered
5,655 Posts
My leftover chicken meals:

Green beans w/cashews and chicken (adapted from Nourishing Traditions):
2 lbs. green beans
Olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 t. sesame oil
Rosemary
Pepper
Ginger
Garlic
2 t. honey
Chicken
Cashews (walnuts work too)
Cornstarch or arrowroot powder

Heat up the green beans in a few tablespoons (or less) of oil. Mix all the other ingredients from the stock to the honey together to make a sauce. Combine the green beans, sauce, chicken and cashews. Bring to a boil then add some corn starch or arrowroot to thicken the sauce.

Chicken and pasta in cream sauce:
Make a basic cream sauce (3 T. flour, 3 T. butter, 1-2 cups stock, milk, etc.). Season it with herbs, salt, pepper, cheese or whatever sounds good. Add cooked pasta and chicken. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs (panko-style work best) and cheese. Broil for a few minutes in the oven.

You could also do chicken curry with whatever veggies you have on hand

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.