Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for the following:

An acupuncturist - my SIL has RA and I think she'd be interested in trying acupuncture but won't necessarily take the initiative to find a practitioner. I'd love to be able to give her the name of someone.

An allergist and a nutritionist - DH definitely has some sort of food allergies/sensitivities. The one allergist he tried seeing sort of brushed him off and wouldn't do any testing. We'd like to get some definitive answers on what affects him (for his sake, and for any possible things we should be wary of as we introduce DS to solids). Going hand in hand with that we'd like to find a nutritionist that can help with the food allergies/sensitivities, weight loss and blood sugar issues.

We're in the Pasadena area but willing to travel further for someone good. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Everyone will recommend Dr Wood at JHU. He is booked about 6 months or more in advance though. I have an appt with a doctor in Eldersburg called Dr Silber for my DD on 15 of July. They booked a 3 hr appointment for her first appointment, which was a good sign for me because I too had another allergist blow me off basically, too (he was in the Arnold area - wonder if it was the same doc?!)

Anyway the reason I chose Dr Silber (he is also part time faculty I believe at JHU) and the reason I think Dr Wood is highly recommended is because they both advocate breastfeeding. The last allergist told me at 9 months DD had to be on hypoallergenic formula, because she would not survive on breastmilk.

I do know from experience that tests are kind of unreliable if there is only an intolerance and if children are under 2. My DD poops blood and all her RAST blood tests are negative. I can finally get a scratch test for her, but if it's just an intolerance, it still won't show up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My acupuncturist is Chris Fadgen. He practices at the Tai Sophia Institute in North Laurel, MD, probably about 25-30 mins. from Pasadena. He's awesome! Really takes the time to listen and is very holistic in his view of treatment. Takes into consideration diet, sleep, stress and emotions as well as physical stuff.

Here's his number: 410-382-8665

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Good Luck,
Emily

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
Everyone will recommend Dr Wood at JHU. He is booked about 6 months or more in advance though. I have an appt with a doctor in Eldersburg called Dr Silber for my DD on 15 of July. They booked a 3 hr appointment for her first appointment, which was a good sign for me because I too had another allergist blow me off basically, too (he was in the Arnold area - wonder if it was the same doc?!)

Anyway the reason I chose Dr Silber (he is also part time faculty I believe at JHU) and the reason I think Dr Wood is highly recommended is because they both advocate breastfeeding. The last allergist told me at 9 months DD had to be on hypoallergenic formula, because she would not survive on breastmilk.

I do know from experience that tests are kind of unreliable if there is only an intolerance and if children are under 2. My DD poops blood and all her RAST blood tests are negative. I can finally get a scratch test for her, but if it's just an intolerance, it still won't show up.
Okay I totally misread your post! I thought you wanted them for your DS

My DH is going to someone in the same group - Dr Silber is pediatric. My DH is going to Monica Korff in the same practice. They have offices in a few places, so you might find a place closer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I've passed the information along to DH and SIL. Hopefully they'll make appointments but at least I've done all I could!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I wanted to update - my DH met with the doctor, and he is not allergic to anything, but did explain about intolerance and "oversensitive" to certain things. Of course they can't test for those (but you can order tests from Great Plains Lab, you need a doctor to sign for it. Most doctors will deem those "unreliable" so you might have to choose a doctor wisely on that.

I also so a nutritionist that worked at our local grocery store...unfortunately, I knew more to what avoid for my daughters soy intolerance than she did, but it's an option, and it's usually free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts