Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 36 weeks tomorrow with my third baby. I would really like to try a sling this time around, as I see myself having my hands full a lot with two active toddlers.<br><br>
Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable, easy-to-use sling for a first timer? Or maybe lead me to some sites to investigate? I would REALLY appreciate it!<br><br>
TIA!<br>
Micki

·
Registered
399 Posts
I recommend thebabwearer.com as an excelent resouce. It has product reviews, product links, diy forums, and general forums on babywearing. The members there are great! And very knowledgeable.<br><br>
Kate

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hotslings are really great! Aly never liked regular slings but I've never heard a bad word about them and have seen them in person and they're adorable!! They aren't adjustable though. I'm not sure if you'd rather have an adjustable or not????<br><br>
I agree with the PP, thebabywearer.com is fabulous! Good Luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I went shopping with my cousin and her new baby last week and she was using the moby wrap <a href="http://www.mobywrap.com" target="_blank">www.mobywrap.com</a> and we got stopped by at least 10 people who wanted to know where she got it or to tell her how much they loved it! It was the first day she tried it and she said it was pretty comfy, much better than her maya wrap, and she liked the design. I can't comment because I still have a few more weeks until my baby is due, but I am definitely going to try it out!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Learning about all the babycarriers is very overwhelming! I recall being where you are and being so frustrated trying to figure it all out.<br><br>
Each one has its pros and cons. Let me tell you what I've ended up with and what I like/dislike about each one... a common question is "if you could only get one carrier, which one..." well I don't know if I could choose - I love them all!<br><br>
1) <b>pouch</b> mine is from <a href="http://www.hotslings.com" target="_blank">www.hotslings.com</a> and it is very very easy to use, easy on & off - just throw it over your shoulder. Great for quick trips in and out of the store. UNLESS you need to be doing a lot of reaching for things on low shelves or picking up anything large or heavy. I find it hard to do housework with a pouch on because one shoulder is covered up and it's hard to move that arm.<br><br>
2) <b>Stretchy wrap</b> mine is a moby wrap - <a href="http://www.mobywrap.com" target="_blank">www.mobywrap.com</a> These are great for newborns. Very very snug, very comfortable and soft and snuggly, pretty easy to learn how to tie on. You can tie the wrap on, leave it on and then just pop the baby in and out as you want. It's pretty easy to nurse discreetly. And since the fabric goes over both shoulders, the baby's weight disappears.<br><br>
3) <b>Mei Tai/Asian Baby carrier</b> Mine is from <a href="http://www.meitaibaby.com" target="_blank">www.meitaibaby.com</a>. These are great, like the wrap, for longer carries and can be used for back carries. And they're beautiful! Some people have trouble getting the baby on their back. Not as good for nursing.<br><br>
4) <b>Unpadded ring sling</b> Mine is from <a href="http://www.taylormadeslings.com" target="_blank">www.taylormadeslings.com</a> I love my ring sling also for quick trips in and out of the car - it's pretty easy to get the baby in and out. Great for discreet nursing. My only complaint was that I had a REALLY hard time getting the hang of using the ring sling. Once I did, I loved it.<br><br>
Hope this helps - good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congratulations on your coming joy!<br><br>
Definitely check out thebabwearer.com also check out mamatoto.org. There are so many carriers out there and more brands then you can count!<br>
My top choices are-<br>
a pouch, ringsling and a wrap.<br><br>
My favorite is a wrap- My main one is an Ellaroo, I also have a homemade gauze and a few others.- Wraps are incredibly versatile with various front/back/hip carry positions. It does have a bit of a learning curve.<br><br>
Pouches are super easy, quick slip on and go carriers- My favorites are the Maya Adjustable and the New Native Carrier.<br><br>
Ring slings have the simplicity of the pouch for popping on quickly- but with super on the go adjustability I would recommend an open tail like the Maya wraps- they are great for discreet nursing, protection against the weather, to provide baby a dark place to nap etc.<br><br>
Good luck on your search- I'm sure you will soon join the ranks of us babywearing addicts!<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You gave me some great places to get started.<br><br>
I would LOVE to try the MobyWrap. It looks awesome. I don't know if DH would use it though. But he likes the Baby Bjorn we have, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.<br><br>
Thank you so much! (Again, lol)<br><br>
Micki

·
Registered
111 Posts
Micki,<br><br>
I just had my second baby 6 weeks ago and so far we have been primarily using a stretchy wrap and a ring sling. Both have allowed me to carry my baby (pretty much all day!) while taking care of my 2 year old. I also have two pouches and a mei tai but am just starting to use them now.<br><br>
Gail

·
Registered
478 Posts
my favorit is a wrap but it will be the mid of summer and you may get too warm<br>
i am looking into a mei tai now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts