Mothering Forum banner

Recommendations for a space saver high chair?

1871 Views 20 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ryansma
Rafiq doesnt eat yet but I am looking for a high chair so he can sit with us when we eat. We have a really tiny kitchen and a small high-ish table with two stools so the kind that goes on a chair wont work. I was thinking a restaurant style wooden one. Im not sure if I mind that those dont have a tray though because he will grab everything off the table!

Does anyone have any they like that takes up very little space?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
We had a peg pergo (I got it at a garage sale for $15 in mint condition) for DS. It folded flat like a step stool and stashed easily.
Wow! Those are usually quite expensive arent they? Do you know the make name of it or something?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by wasswifey View Post
Wow! Those are usually quite expensive arent they? Do you know the make name of it or something?

Peg Perego and yes they are quite expensive, that's why I was so happy to score one at a garage sale.
See less See more
My parents bought us an Eddie Bauer wooden highchair. We also have a very small kitchen (NYC apartment), but the chair fits nicely into the space. I believe the chair cost around $125 - but it is worth it if you are going to use it for a number of years. It is sturdy and attractive and will make a nice hand-me-down if you have other relatives in need of a chair later on.
We got the Chicco Polly as a gift and it is supposed to fold super small to be tucked away, but it is so much work to fold it up that we never do and it is left to space hog in the kitchen. So don't believe the marketing on the Chicco.
We have a baby trend one that folds up to a pretty small size. I like it because it has adjustable height and tilts back so a smaller baby can sit it in. This has been nice so that dd can "eat" at the dinner table with us even though she's not actually eating or even interested in food. And when she gets bigger, I'll put it on its lowest height setting so that she can crawl in and out of it to color/eat/etc. when she wants. That said, I don't know how easy/hard it will be to clean since she's never had any food yet.
We use a restaurant style high chair, even though we have a bigger, nicer one. It's easier to move around and clean and it tucks nicely up against the table. We also have one of those seats that hooks onto the table that stays at the babysitter's--that works pretty well too and takes up no floor space at all!
We have a plastic seat (like $15 from Target) that straps onto a chair, which we love. We have a regular graco high chair also, but I am putting it in storage this weekend just because I like using the other one so much better. The tray swivels, so it is easy to get him in and out of, it also comes off so it is easy to clean, and it takes up NO extra space. We take it with us to restaurants, or to Grandma's. I think it's made by Safety First. Don't even bother with anything else
See less See more
We have the Fisher Price space saving high chair and it works well for us since it sits on the seat at the table.
We have the Happy Hippo chair by Hipposmile and love it. They sell it on Amazon. You aren't supposed to use until 18 months, but we use with our 7 month old.
we registered for this one
We also have a crowded eat-in kitchen. I like lots about the idea of the clamp-onto-table style of seats, but dont' like the way the clamp-on handles and the tabletop around them tend to get so dirty with mushed-up food.

We got rid of our regular highchair as soon as we got a Stokke Tripp Trapp (also sometimes called a Stokke Kinderzeat).

http://www.stokkeusa.com/tripptrapp.htm

They are pricey. It's worth looking into buying one second-hand. The best way to do that is through eBay Germany as they are extremely popular over there.

You might find that the highest seat position isn't high enough for a small baby at a tall table, though. (I'll measure mine if you want me to - send a PM). The greatest thing about them is that they go right through that toddler and pre-schooler age where your child is too big for a traditional high chair, but fidgeting around and sitting on his/her knees in an attempt to sit at a comfortable height at the table.

The design of the chair (with the two platforms: seat and footrest) also makes it very handy in the kitchen as a quick step-stool for older kids or for short adults.

It's just so unobstusive in our kitchen. We absolutely LOVE it!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
We have this one - only in green - and love it!
See less See more
We have this one http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000LRG6TG
love love love it! The whole thing goes right in the washing machine and travels well
Thanks for the recs. Like I said, we have stools so cant use the on chair kind and the glass for the table sticks on with little suctions so the hook on wont work either! Off to look for one!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
This is the one we have, too, and I really like it for everyday.

We just spent a weekend at a cabin with family, and I needed something for there. I bought this one. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00005N9X5. It folds up into the size of a medium purse. It was great. No tray, so I'm not sure how I'd like it for everyday (i like my tray
), but for what it is, it's fabulous. It was $15 at my Target, too.
See less See more
subbing
(i also have a small kitchen, and want to save all those great links!)
MidnightCommando, your babies have my birthday!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.