Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some positive reviews (or cautionary tales...) for a line of baby washes, lotions, bum creams, etc. I find lots about EMAB, but wondering if there's anything else I should try (that might be cheaper too). I'm in Canada, so I often get killed shipping these things.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you need much of that stuff for a baby. On the vast majority of days, we use nothing at all.

We have a tiny bottle of Dr. Bronner's baby soap that we'll use a few drops of when DS is super funky (he eats some solid foods now), and coconut oil (from the grocery store) for dry skin or signs of diaper rash. We don't give him baths all that often, but we'll rinse his bum in the sink or wipe him down with a damp cloth occasionally.

So far he doesn't stink and we haven't had problems with dry skin or rashes.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I didn't know about all this when my DD was an infant. We only bathed her when needed vs on a schedule. A few drops of soap in a baby bath full of warm water was sufficient as long as I used a soapy washcloth under her neck more often (rinsing very well). I didn't do lotions and such. The only time she had a diaper rash was when I was given very strong antibiotics for severe mastitis and a serious kidney infection (via IV in hospital) and it cleared up a few days after I was released from the hospital. Naked baby time on her tummy every day helped in several ways.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know I don't want a ton of stuff that's heavily fragranced or with lots of attitives, but I do need some form of soap for the baby every now and then, and I want to be able to do some massage too, especially since baby will be born in December and the air will likely be dry. I've also heard people caution that it's good to pick one and put it on your registry, if nothing else then so that you don't get piles of johnson's lotion and soap.

I'm just looking for a good brand to start with.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
It took me five years to use up one bottle of the Aveda brand of baby wash. LOL I just returned what I could or gave them as baby gifts later on.

I use California Baby fragrance-free shampoo for my eyelids (I have blepharitis and this helps immensely), so that's the brand I would recommend if you really want to register for something.

I did (and still do) massages with sweet almond oil.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the almond oil soak in within a reasonable time? I've yet to find one that doesn't take about an hour to soak in... and I'd like to start a routine of massages before bed... but not at the risk of staining all baby's clothes and sheets, you know?

I forgot about the california baby. I'll have to go check that out again.

does anyone remember if kiss my face does baby stuff? I used their soap for a while and liked it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
For massages, you want an oil that does NOT sink in quickly, so your hands can glide over the skin and manipulate the muscles beneath.

Sounds like you want to do a pampering moisturizing routine versus a massage (it's all good!), so you'd want a different oil and use less of it. Coconut oil will provide a bit of slip/glide and will soak in faster than almond oil. Jojoba oil is very similar to our natural sebum and soaks in quickly. It has the advantage of never going rancid since it is technically a liquid wax. I've never used it as a massage oil, though, so I don't know if it'll provide enough slip/glide. It'll certainly feel good while you rub it in and I've never had it stain anything yet (knock on wood). I use jojoba in blends for the longevity aspects. There are many choices for oils. Try Mountain Rose Herbs or Nature's Gift (both have good quality and describe the items well).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.