Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know my beloved weimaraner was taken from us abrptly and well before her life should have been over. We STILL have a yorkie that deserves love and affection. She and I haven't always gotten along. I am NOT her biggest fan BUT I NEED to be there for this dog and make a good life for her. I am trying to come up with things to help us bond. I wondered what people thought of this

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2001+113993

I am seriously considering purchasing this because I think it would help with the lack of bond between me and this dog. If you think it's a bad idea or you know of a better one I am ALL ears.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Have you read up on the Dog Whisperer stuff?
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../dogwhisperer/

I remember your thread, I'm so so sorry for your loss.

I have a situation that is similar in some ways. Our Brooke has cancer, and will probably die sooner than later. We also have another dog, Shiloh. She's an easy dog, but there's not much of a bond with her, just because she's so aloof.
I'm hoping that by doing some dog whisperer stuff, and focusing on proper walks and giving her "jobs" that we can get a bond going.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry about your loss. That's so painful. Both of our dogs are elderly. I'm not really close to either dog, but there are going to be some VERY sad people around here when they go.

I think you'd be more comfortable carrying your yorkie in a regular ring sling. Yorkies are so tiny I think it'd be no problem to carry her in one. When they lived in San Francisco and took their dog on the bus all the time, I taught my sister and her partner how to use a shawl as a rebozo and it worked perfect (and the dog loved it!), even on their backs. That dog is about 18 lbs., so much bigger than a yorkie.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss...

Can you tell us a bit more about why you and the Yorkie dont get along?

Remember that dogs are pack animals who are (usually) most comfortable being in the calm submissive position. They need someone who is more assertive and dominant than they are. You and your Yorkie need to work on establishing and securing your role as the assertive dominant leader.... carrying your dog around (in arms or in a sling) wont help foster that. Walks and obediance will, if you do them correctly. Dogs naturally want to walk ALOT, they follow their leaders. By all means, take your dog with you whenever possible, but on a leash and with her behaving in a calm appropriate manner.

Again, can you tell us what exactly you and the Yorkie are butting heads on? And again, hugs on your loss. Be gentle with yourself.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I agree with Edlyn's mom. A sling is the way to bond with a human baby, not a dog. I believe that slings/dog purses/ etc are the cause of a number of problems we see in toy breeds. Dogs are happiest when they have a strong leader to follow. They feel safe and protected. If they don't see an alpha in the house, they either fret and worry or they attempt to fill the roll. Being carried around all the time can prevent the dog from seeing its human as alpha.

If you want to bond with your yorkie, I suggest obedience training (this can be fun!) and lots of leashed walks. Go to an obedience class or buy a good training book. Make lots of opportunities for reinforcing training throughout the day. Help your dog see you as the source of food, exercise, stability, rules, fun, and affection. These things will help her bond to you way more than just carrying her around in a sling.

One extra caution, though... Are you seeing any signs that your yorkie is grieving the loss of her canine buddy? Is she acting differently, searching for your weim, had a change in sleeping/eating? If so, you might want to wait a few weeks before making any change in her routine - even if those changes might be ultimately good for her.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't know. Maybe it's because I had MY dog when the yorkie joined the family. I didn't feel the "need" for a second dog. Let alone a small dog that was still a PUPPY. Those were the two things that I absolutely DIDN'T want. DH on the other hand insisted and wouldn't drop it until he got what he wanted. One MAJOR issue.....I am the one home ALL the time NOT him. She's not the worst animal in the world just NOT my fave. I am a big dog kind of girl and she is certainly NOT fitting the bill. I don't "hate" her, I just wish Dh would have listened to me. Our relationship HAS changed since the loss of my precious Sassy BUT NOTHING can replace my sweet oldest child. SO the leashing etc is a better alternative. I saw once somebody talking about a leash that attached to a person's waist so the dog would HAVE to follow along with the owner. Is that a better option? I want to make this work and this yorkie NEEDS a great and happy life KWIM?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Bonding is accomplished by Sharing Positive Experiences. I'm capsing because all three are important. You have to create a memorable experience, you have to make it positive, and you have to be in on it together.

I would go about creating experiences by picking a long-term goal of making this dog really excel at something. If you loved the athleticism of your Weim, maybe agility (Yorkies are great at it) or work on therapy dog stuff if your Yorkie is gentle with other people. Make yourself take classes with her or in some other way commit to spending time with just her in a venue in which she is doing something that will make you appreciate her special value. As you build toward your goal, you'll bond more and more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I totally agree with the agility. Do it simply for the fun of it!! When I have taken Lola to classes through the city there are all size dogs there, from huge to tiny teacup yorkies and it was all about fun!

Try to think of the positive things about a small dog - you can take them more places, easier to groom (less area at least!), truly lap dogs (in spite of what those 60+ pounders think!), spunky, more people are drawn to them so you can get to know lots of new people, etc...

Have Fun!
Christy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.