Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. looking for your favorite magnesium and probiotic. my dd (ASD) is 3, and i'm looking for GF/no soy. i tried natural calm and she hated it. i think she may have some sals sensitivity, so low sals would be good. i already do epsom salts, so that's that. thanks ahead of time for your help!!

· Premium Member
4,469 Posts
If she didn't like natural calm, most of the other choices taste even worse, sadly. We used mag glycinate from kirkman, and that's my favorite form, but it doesn't taste great. I taught my little guy to swallow small capsules about 6 months ago (he was 2.5, ASD, and non-verbal, and it was actually really easy - I started with kitten sized teeny #5 capsules and worked up to #3 capsules - I dip them in maple syrup and he happily swallows them - about 20 a day at this point, I load all his supps, enzymes, and probiotics into them now).

If she's sals sensitive, you'll also want to look at supping molybdenum and P5P (active form of b6) - the P5P helps the mag get used, and those three help with the pathway that processes salicylates. P5P tastes bleck too, so the capsules really help with that as well.

Probiotics, we're currently on the d-lactate free strain for autistic kids from custom probiotics. I've only been doing them a short time, but DS reacted badly to the FOS and d-lactate producing strains (like l. acidophilus) in most probiotics.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mamafish, thank you! i've read about kirkman, and may try the lozenges. is that what you meant? i think she didn't like drinking the liquid for natural calm - she doesn't like drinking in general. she's a camel like her mama
. i think she'd do a chewable well, but don't know about a capsule to swallow. hmmmm.
i've heard you talk about brainchild products before. what do you think about their liquid mag?
also, she loves her chewable probiotic right now, but it has soy. is the one you mentioned a tab or powder?
TIA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.