Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have posted in TAO, but everything of this nature gets shut down and told to post here, so i guess this is where I am supposed to be, if not, please move me!

we are moving, and I (stupidly) assumed that our cable services were transferrable to our new address.

well, they're not.
: we're moving to the country, ony 2 miles out of the city! I am certain that there are houses on my street w/ cable, but the company has no record of that road having any services.

they are supposed to send someone out within 2 weeks to look at the lines going down the street, and call me if they do infact have cable running there.

anyway, my question is, does anyone have satellite service that they find reliable and cheap?? i know they only offer certain channels in their basic lineups, I'm just wondering if we can get a cheap service w/ at least these channels:

I don't really care about local channels, we watch discovery, national geographic, food network, nickelodeon, cartoon network, speed, spike (for the car shows and csi, i swear!), hgtv, a&e, bravo, vh1...i think thats about it.

TIA!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
For Dish Network you'd be looking at America's Top 180, which is (I believe) $50/month without locals and each extra receiver would be another $5/month, and if you want DVR (think TiVo) that's another $5/month.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
DirecTv is the best. Dish has a bad habit of dropping channels and forcing the channel owners to lower their prices before they'll take them back (I remember Lifetime being one of those), and Dish's customer service is kinda crappy, I like DirecTv's much better. I do believe both Dish and DirecTv are similarly priced, so your best bet might be just to call each and see who you like more.

·
Registered
941 Posts
we have dish network... no major complaints. Service cuts out when a storm rolls in, not a big deal only lasts a few mintus. With Time Warner our service used to cut out for HOURS when a storm came through.

we pay $60 for america's top 180 (or 120) DVR, two tv's one dish

oh and I think you have to sign a contract.... 12-18 months???

We've had it for a year and only a few issues.

Calling customer service is a pain in the rear, half the time you end up speaking to someone who doesn't really KNOW what you're saying, they're reading a script (and it takes forever to get a real live person on the phone)

The downsides are all things we experienced with Time Warner too though, Direct TV wasn't an option for us, I forget why.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I second DirecTV. We haven't had any problems with them. We also have only had one price increase in 6 years. You could probably go with their Total Choice package. Only $45 and includes local channels.

Have you talked with the previous owners of your home? What do they do (if anything) for cable/satellite?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its new construction, so we are the only ones that will have ever lived there.

the ppl down the road, (who we bought the land from to build the house) have cable.

Thanks everyone for the recs! DH took over for me (
) and signed us up for cable and internet thru the same company we have here.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts