Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I know I've seen this type of thread before but I just can't find it!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Early loss #3. Can anyone else who has had multiple losses (or, as my RE likes to call it, is a "habitual aborter" - THANKS!) talk to me about what kinds of tests you did to see if there was a reason? What the test was, what you found out, and if possible how much money you spent? My RE seemed to think that most tests are for factors that affect pregnancies later and would not really apply to me (all losses were 6wk or less). he also says that the who panel is $5 -6K, and my insurance does not cover anything.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<p>Forgive me, I don't have any experience with testing but have you had your progesterone checked in early pregnancy?</p>

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
<p>The basics do not have to be expensive.  Thyroid testing, FSH, Diabetes screening.  Progesterone. </p>
<p>Then you could add, ultrasound of your pelvis for obvious abnormalities.</p>
<p>The big expenses come from chromosome testing (1K each person), immune testing (thousands), and DNA testing for things like MTHFR. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
190 Posts
<p>My dr did some testing, but wasn't necessarily "reccurent loss" testing, which probably wouldnt' be covered.  Sent me to a hematologist that was covered by my insurance.  they did the Thrombophilia testing (esp cause I had early losses like you), that covers a LOT of things, clotting issues, MTHRF, lupus coagulant, protein c, s, etc etc....</p>
<p>it was helpful and cost me $25. </p>
<p>ask your ob to start there. (progesterone too).</p>

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
<p>Millet your RE sounds like an ass. The bloodwork my RE ordered was $400 and fortunately my drug plan covered it. My next option is an endometrial biopsy to determine if my progesterone level is good or to see if I have a uterine infection. He says that the progesterone # isn't all there is to look at. I'm not sure if I have to pay for that or not. There was also some genetic testing that was to take 6-8mths that I declined and I'm not sure of the cost for that.</p>

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
<p>So, I can't help you with costs, because I'm not in the States.</p>
<p>The following is a list I have cut and pasted from my own files. Some might be relevant, some might not.</p>
<p>The first part of the list I have had all the tests for, the second part is stuff I have found but isn't really relevant to me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yeah, maybe you need a new RE too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* MTHFR homozygosity<br></span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* Factor V Leidin<br>
* Chlamydia</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">*TSH</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">*Antiphosphilid antibodies</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* prothrombin gene mutation 20210A<br>
* anticardiolipin anitbody<br>
* plasma homocysteine<br>
* antinuclear antibodies<br>
* prothrombin 3<br>
* protein C<br>
* Free protein S (antigenic)<br>
* Chromosomal analysis</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* Lupus anticoagulant</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Fasting glucose<br>
Fasting insulin<br>
Fasting homocystiene</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Protein S<br>
Protein C<br>
Anti-thrombin III<br>
FSH<br>
LH</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Thyroid antibodies<br></span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">B12 and Folate<br>
FBC</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(238,130,238);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Blood group<br>
Antibodies<br>
Hep B<br>
Hep C<br>
VDRL<br>
Rubella<br>
HIV</span></span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* coeliac disease</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* anti- beta II glycoprotein</span></span></span><br><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">APC resistance</span></span></span><br><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* Mycoplamsa/ ureplasma<br></span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">* Russell’s Viper Venom<br>
* Delta KCT</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">toxoplasmosis, parvo virus and listeria</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Natural killer cells<br>
T-cell subsets<br>
Prolactin<br>
Testosterone<br>
SHBG<br>
AST<br>
ALT</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Tissue transglutaminase Ab<br>
Serum copper and ceruloplasmin</span></span></span></p>
<p><span style="color:rgb(51,0,51);"><span style="font-family:'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Anti Tja antibodies<br>
Immunoglobin A (lgA)<br>
Antigliadin Ab<br>
CA 125</span></span></span></p>

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>Thank you, this is all really helpful. I was on the fence about my RE before this but this experience has sealed the deal. He is one of the better REs in the country so I was hesitant to switch, but COME ON!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>- My progesterone was tested as was low so I have been on prog suppositories and my levels have risen to a decent level.</p>
<p>- My thyroid was tested and I was mildly hypo so I am taking armour (since July).</p>
<p>- FSH was never tested because of my age (just turned 35) and because I had a lot of follicles on CD 3 ultrasound. I asked about doing a clomid challenge and he said that would be fine if I wanted it, but I backed out because he was really convinced that wasn't a problem and I didn't want to do it on a cycle that we were trying in case I made too many follies and had to cancel.</p>
<p>- I also had an HSG and my uterus looked normal</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will have to do more research on how much these cost and also see if I can find a new care provider to order these tests.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you all for sharing!</p>

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
<p>How are you doing?</p>

·
Registered
591 Posts
<p>I had 5 miscarriages all before 8 weeks. I had immune testing. Found out I had Factor V Leiden 1 copy of the gene. I also had low progesterone because of PCOS/insulin resistance, which was diagnosed in 1995 (testosterone,LH,FSH, and ultrasound).  My insurance covered most of it but my doctor made sure it was for general health, not fertility. I went to a Chinese medicine practitioner for the PCOS. I paid out of pocket every month for that.  I took baby aspirin (since my losses were under 8 weeks and 1 copy of the gene, we decided to go with the BA instead of Heparin) and progesterone til 14 weeks with my first dd. 2nd dd I did the same, but lost her at 18 weeks due to Incompetent cervix. With my ds, I had 2 doctors, my o.b. and a perinatologist. I was on baby aspirin til 14 weeks, a cerclage, bed rest, and progesterone suppositories until 34 weeks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would find a different doctor. He doesn't sound willing to help or compassionate. That H.A. term is awful. :( </p>
<p>I hope you find an answer soon.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts