Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>i've got some old towels - 100% cotton. they're looking old and i'm going to probably get new towels for xmas, so i'm wondering - is it possible to recycle them into inserts or doublers for my cloth diapers? i was given some handmade pocket diapers, but the inserts were polar fleece and my sister (who used them before me) said they were useless. i was thinking of maybe cutting up the towels into the right shape and size, and sandwiching the towel between two layers of cotton flannel. would this work? i've never made such a thing before. i don't have a serger but i have a decent sewing machine and basic skills :)</p>

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
<p>I have done this. It works. I wouldn't make them too thick because then they take forever todry. In fact, I like to make them bigger than they need to be (like prefold sized), and fewer layers (like two - one towel and one flannel) then fold to fit. They get cleaner that way. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Actually, my favorite kind of insert is one that is a smallish flat diaper folded up.  Those get the cleanest.   And super easy to sew, just hem them.</p>

·
Registered
479 Posts
<p>I've used them. I actually cut up old t-shirts to layer on the outside of the towel so it's soft against his skin. Just using the zig zag stitch around the edge would probably work.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts