Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question...<br>
a few weeks ago my 13 month old ds's intact penis was really red at the end, and it kind of flared out and swelled a bit. after 3x/day bathing and a barrier with zinc, it ended up clearing up. now, probably 2 or 3x/week i notice that the end is kind of red again, sometimes with little areas that look sore. it doesn't seem to bother him at all...and i'm linking the timing of all this with a switch to whole cow's milk (DS was adopted and switched from organic formula to organic milk)...could it be that it's much more acidic? when it cleared up before i also put him in disposables, but i hate using those instead of CDs...do you think this makes a big difference? and what would cause it to flare up so often? no swelling or anything this time, just redness at the end of the foreskin...thoughts???

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you are having ammonia problems with your cloth diapers it can cause this. It happened with my DS if I didn't notice he was wet right away.

·
Registered
769 Posts
yeah what she said above, thats what I was going to ask... cloth seems to do that sometimes *sigh*. I have a lot of problems with my dipes I think its my water here and my sons 3 yrs old and 14 m/o are in dipes so we have to watch and strip the dipes sometimes etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have noticed huge ammonia odor when i'm getting dipes into the wash! thanks!! what do you do to strip them? have never done this before...

·
Registered
769 Posts
you can boil them but that takes a lot of time, use a tiny bit of dawn(the dish soap) but make sure you rinse a lot, and back in the day we used oxy clean which i know some say not to but it always worked for us i've cloth diapered all of my kids for yrs so those are just what i did/do.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This might just get moved to cloth diapering but for me I found that the only thing that really kept it under control is washing with more detergent then is usually recommended for cloth diapers and using really hot water. I only once resorted to just a bit of bleach in the water before I figured out that using more detergent worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts