Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about this? If red is in the room when a woman gives birth the color can encourage her to bleed more after the birth?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
yes some of the NA births I have done will have this taboo<br>
also no bleeding women in the room either... saw someone have a late hemorrhage after breaking this taboo- let someone in to see the baby and she was having her period-

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have heard of it, but I have also heard that red is a color of power for women (yes, it's the color of blood, but bleeding is part of being female). You've heard of the book <i>The Red Tent</i>, right? The epynomous tent (& apologies if you've read it & I'm repeating what you know) was for giving birth, & I believe there were other cultures that did something similar. I imagine much depends upon the outlook of the mother. A mama convinced it's a bad omen might well have ill effects from it; one convinced of the color's power would not. I know that in Slavic culture, red is the color of joy, and I want to say in some Asian cultures--Japanese & Korean maybe--it is as well. But I don't know of specifically birth-oriented applications for that color in either culture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts