Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh's company is matching any donation to these 2 charities for the tsunami victms...I need to pick one. Which org would you pick?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mercy Corps is consistently rated one of Amercia's top 100 charities. They also get A+ ratings as a humanitarian organization.

And as of now, they are the ONLY group working with the survivors of the tsunamis that is employing the people of the countries to help clear debris, start to rebuild. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about the benefits of helping the survivors feel useful, how it helps them deal with the trauma by working together and also , of course, to pay them which helps to jumpstart the economy.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I would probably go with Mercy. I was sort of disappointed to discover that the International Red Cross and Red Crescent refuses to admit Magen David Adom, the Israeli equivelent of the Red Cross, because they have a Star of David as their symbol.
The American Red Cross is pushing for the International organization to change its position.
http://www.redcross.org/services/int...0_453_,00.html
Maybe there is more to it that I don't understand, but it just seems like senseless politicing to me.
Annette

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthesnow
Mercy Corps , for sure! I actually organized a community fundraiser in my town and we are donating all of the money to Mercy Corps!
We're doing the same thing!

We got really lucky, and a business is hosting, providing entertainment, adding on fundraisers, and doing the whole publicity thing! I suddenly have much LESS organizing to do!

Yeah, Mercy Corps, without a doubt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.