Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD (12 mos) had some red, irritated rashy looking skin under her chin a few days ago. It's gotten more red and has spread up to her cheeks on both sides. It's almost where a beard would be but not down on her neck. It doesn't appear to be itchy, it's not raised or bumpy at all and I can't seem to see it anywhere else on her body. It does feel a bit dry on her cheeks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've tried looking it up but can't really find anything that fits this description.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>eta: There is no rash on her chin above her jawline by her mouth, only below.</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
<p>That almost sounds like what younger babies get when they have lots of neck folds and lots of drool. Could it be moisture related?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The fact that it's spreading up to her cheeks is sort of alarming to me; I would consider seeing her pediatrician just to make sure it's not a rash that's related to something like an infection or a fungus.</p>

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>My DP thought it might be moisture related but she seems a bit old for that. She doesn't have drool that often and not down under her chin. Still a possibility though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This morning it is not very red at all but you can see where it was - and the skin is quite dry. I'm wondering if it's temperature/weather related? I'll watch and see if it flares up tonight.</p>

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
<p>My first thought on reading the title was yeast, but on reading your whole post... maybe a contact dermatitis "event"?  Did she wear something new, or was she held by out of town guests over the holidays?  She could have rubbed her chin on the shoulder of a guest and had a reaction to their laundry soap for instance... that happens a lot to my ds, and used to happen to dd1.  We have a few family members who use a VERY heavily scented laundry soap and the kiddos tend to get red/dry/rashy patches when they've been held by those family members.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, my ds has a single patch of red bumpy and very dry skin on his leg.  It's about the size of his hand.  It comes and goes and has been diagnosed as eczema.  We already follow a gluten free/casein free diet so it's probably not a food reaction in his case but if your little one tried a new food during the holidays her rash could be a food reaction.  Or just an eczema flare due to changes in temp/humidity.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it gets worse or spreads further I'd suggest calling the ped though... some rashes are bacterial and some fungal and what works for one wont work for the other.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts