Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard many times about this being a great uterine tonic, and was wondering when is a good time to begin drinking it - and how much is reccommend per day ?

Also - does RRL tea make good iced tea ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
i have been drinking it for months. i like it hot or cold, plain, sometimes lemon and/ or honey. i plan to switch to nettles only after my rrl tea runs out. nettles is suppose to contain lots of vit. k to help reduce bleeding after birth.

as for amount, i have a mid-size french press i use for the the loose tea. i try to remember to make at least one a day. i just put some in the bottom. i don't measure it. my kids and husband would drink it all if i let them.

enjoy happy tea drinking!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have several bags of prepared RRL tea right now - I've never tried it before, but I just might have to make some up to try.

I know that I can at least get RRL tea around here (I cannot get Mothers' Milk tea in my area - I've looked for 2 years!)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I see you are due in August! Start drinking it now and drink about 1 quart a day! Don't use store bought tea bags if you can help it. Get dry loose RRL and brew it yourself. It is more potent. This is a great uterine tonic and it is full of vitamins and minerals.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been drinking it for awhile too. Started brewing it as an iced tea b/c i've had an aversion to hot tea for a bit. I add a little sugar, its yummy and very refreshing! I also think its helped keep my iron levels up; I'm a vegetarian and my levels are a great this pregnancy! I use tea bags (can't find loose) and have 2-3 cups a day.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I thought you were supposed to avoid RRL in third trimester, because as a uterine toner, it makes b/h contractions stronger and potentially dangerous. I've read it should be used in earlier pregnancy to help whip the uterus into shape, and avoided later. If I'm wrong, please point me to evidence otherwise
My MW recommended RRL after my water broke last time 'round in an effort to induce labor.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My rrl tea is actually called "Third Trimester Tea" and my mw okayed it in the third trimester. Everything I have seen on it says to avoid it in the first trimester and start it in late second and third trimester. Sorry I don't have any links for you. If I come across some I will post them.

I got mine as a loose leaf tea from Earth Mama Angel Baby. So you might want to check out their site and see what they have to say.

Having said that, I am finding it hard to drink much of because I don't like drinking hot tea in the summer. Can I brew it hot and then chill it for an ice tea?

Cheryl

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hey Juju, I'd love to hear more about the nettle tea. I had a bit of bleeding trouble last time. And some uterus clamping down trouble. I do NOT want another shot of pitocin after the birth this time. That stuff was horrible.

~Daednu

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I 2nd that - can you maybe mix the RRL and nettle into one tea if you have the loose stuff ?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, you can definetly mix nettles and RRL. Also, yes, you can turn it into ice tea. And lastly, you can drink RRL throughout your pg. I don't think it could be used to induce labor, but if labor has already begun it could help to make the contractions stronger. But you really should drink about a quart a day.

Also, from an earlier post about bleeding. I also was a heavy bleeder after delivery. Instead of pitocin try sheppards purse tincture. A few drops under the tongue after delivery and then about every 15 minutes until the bleeding lets up.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Actually, my midwives used the pitocin out of necessity. I was bleeding out pretty badly. As far as I could tell it was get the pitocin or head to the hospital. Everything else went swimmingly.
I will ask them about the sheppards purse tincture next appointment though. Thanks.

~Daednu

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
MamaDaedu--For my first I was at a birth center and I got pitocin too b/c of bleeding. Next I was at home and my midwife gave me the sheppards purse. It worked even though they were worried about the amount of blood I was losing. She told me not to ever have a UC b/c of the blood loss factor. And same with me, everything else went great. Hope everything is wonderful for you with your August baby!

·
Banned
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
I thought you were supposed to avoid RRL in third trimester, because as a uterine toner, it makes b/h contractions stronger and potentially dangerous. I've read it should be used in earlier pregnancy to help whip the uterus into shape, and avoided later. If I'm wrong, please point me to evidence otherwise
My MW recommended RRL after my water broke last time 'round in an effort to induce labor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturegirl
My rrl tea is actually called "Third Trimester Tea" and my mw okayed it in the third trimester. Everything I have seen on it says to avoid it in the first trimester and start it in late second and third trimester.
I hope this doesn't just add more confusion... I know there are contradictory sources out there, but most midwives floating through cyberspace agree with this:
http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/nat...l/herbal25.htm

·
Registered
209 Posts
MamaDaednu and all;

more on nettles from susan weed's wise woman herbal for the childbearing year:

netteles contains: vitamins a, c, d, and k, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and sulphur.

benefits:
aiding kidneys; increasing fertility in men and women; nourishing mother and fetus; easing leg cramps and other muscle spams; diminishing pain during and after birth; preventing hemorrhage after birth; reducing hemorrhoids; increasing the richness and amout of breast milk.

more about preventing hemorrhage after birth:
nettle is a superb source of vitamin k, and increases available hemoglobin, both of which decrease the likelihood of postpartum hemmorrhage. but the effectiveness is hard to prove--if it works nothing happens! fresh nettle juice in teaspoons doses, slow profuse postpartum bleeding.

i have also heard chlorophyll helps with postpartum bleeding if taken during pregnancy. i have been taking it, too for awhile. one table spoon in the morning and one at night.

i also received pitocin from my midwife to help the placenta release for my first birth. for my second birth, she gave me something else a suppostory (sp). i really want to try to prevent any need for any medicine this time around. also, it is possible this birth may be an unassisted one. i plan to order some other herbs to have on hand in case of extreme blood loss. but i also wonder if my midwife might have been in too much of a hurry to get the placenta out.

for tea drinking, i plan to finish my rrl tea. then switch to only nettles or a mix not sure yet.

julie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.