Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought you'd all get a kick out of this...

My FIL is visiting for the week, and my dh just told me tonight that he noticed his dad's been drinking my RRL tea
So I asked FIL how he likes it and I told him what its for.
He said 'then I guess I am toning my uterus along with you'

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's awesome! And good for him for being so cool about it! I think my FIL might go have his stomach pumped for fear it will interfere with his testosterone levels

My MIL (who has had a hysterectomy) is fascinated by my RRL and every time she sees me making it asks me what I think would happen if she drank some.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

I've been hesitent to drink any b/c of the whole bedrest/cervical shortening thing. But, I think I'll make up my first batch today!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I must admit that I've never enjoyed the taste of RRL tea. How do you all make it? I enjoy my pregnancy tea, but for some reason, RRL tea tastes bitter to me or something. But I'm nearing 35 weeks and I really need to start downing this stuff daily.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I made iced RRL tea this week and it really hit the spot. I made a gallon and drank it all in 3 days! How much should we be drinking at this point? I don't want to over do it.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Well, I guess I should buy some today and make up a big batch of iced tea. I think we are suppose to drink 3-4 cups/day from 34-35 weeks on. A gallon in 3 days sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Alisha, I bought capsules at Whole Foods and was taking 2/day. I haven't taken any in a couple weeks because of the intensity of my BH contractions, but maybe I should start again. I could tell the difference when I took it, so maybe 2/day is enough. You can do that if you don't like the taste of the tea.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I sweeten and ice mine also, though now that the weather has been getting colder I've had it hot a couple times. I usually drink about 16 oz. a day, but I'm not religious about it. Some is better than none. Also, if you don't like the flavor, try mixing it with another tea that you do like. That's usually what I do when I ice it.

Other than uterine toning, I've heard that RRL helps with swelling and has certain nutritional properties, minerals and what not... I found an article here:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/84392/error
(even though the word error is in the URL, it should work)
that talks about the general benefits of RRL. One of the ones I found interesting was that it lowers blood sugar.

Sounds like even if you don't have a uterus, RRL can't hurt and might help.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
over the summer i was making big batches iced with agave and LIME...alisha, you should try it. honey would work in place of agave, i think. but the lime is surprisingly awesome with the RRL.

i don't mind the taste of RRL though and lately because i THOUGHT it was fall, i've gone back to drinking 2 cups hot every night, which i actually just drink plain. i mix it with nettles. however it's so hot here again so maybe i should ice some again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Alisha, I bought capsules at Whole Foods and was taking 2/day. I haven't taken any in a couple weeks because of the intensity of my BH contractions, but maybe I should start again. I could tell the difference when I took it, so maybe 2/day is enough. You can do that if you don't like the taste of the tea.
I had no idea that you could take capsules...I am so excited! I have a hard time getting down more than one cup a day. I just don't have the time to make it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I make mine half RRL, half nettles. Usually, I let it steep for a few hours, then ice it. It's always gone way too fast...especially with these 90 degree October days we've been having!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think nettle is for the iron. My mw's 1st trimester handouts included instructs to make RRL/nettle tea and drink it throughout the pregnancy. I haven't been faithfully doing it, but I'm trying now. I'm also starting to take EPO.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
-- Nettles cleanses the organs like the liver too. Adds iron as well.

-- Tea usually works better than capsules for herbs, but capsules are a good substitute.

-- Hubby makes mine and I like it. I think the key is mixing in something else that isn't bitter. Like Rose Hips or Lavender or something.

-- This article recommends two cups per day in 3rd trimester. I don't know what other recommendations their are that might differ. I will try to remember to look up with Aviva Jill Romm's book or what Susun Weed says.

-- As for men, in the same article it says:

For men, as in women, Raspberry is a nourishing reproductive tonic. It is a rich source of iron and is used in cases of an iron poor diet with nettles. It contains high amounts of Niacin, and Manganese. Niacin, or Vitamin B3, is essential for cell respiration, metabolism, proper circulation, healthy skin, nervous system functioning, memory and the normal secretion of bile and stomach fluids. Manganese is a trace mineral that is used for healthy connective tissue; bones and cartilage; it is also a factor in energy metabolism, as well as the absorption of Vitamin C.

Raspberry leaf is also slightly astringent and is recommended for diarrhea and mild bleeding, both internal and external.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.