Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 19 weeks pregnant with #2. #1 was born at 33 weeks. I'm already fighting off preterm labor symptoms with this one. I've read from several reputable sources now that in addition to lying down and drinking water it is helpful to drink a glass of red wine to stop contractions. I thought I should buy a bottle to keep in the house, but my husband and I don't drink, so I've never actually bought wine before. What should I get??? (oh, I guess I should insert here that I need it to be VERY cheap also!)

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
How very cheap, is $8 ok? Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon should be good. But if it's just for medicinal value and you'll hate it anyway then get the cheapest thing there. Also try that mineral enhanced bottled water, the added mineral salts in there are the ones they give you in IV for preterm labor.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am drinking it as I type to slow down my contactions.I am 23 weeks and always get them around this time but it started earlier this time.Last night the were lower back/menstral cramps along with the full on stomach contractions.I had wine and they slowed down.They started up again about half an hour ago so I cracked open the bottle again!!I would rather have this than the turburtaline.

Have you seen the barefoot wine?it is between 4-6 bucks depending where you are.It has a little footprint on the front.The cabernet is good as is the shiraz

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Yeah $8 is fine. The Mineral Enhanced Bottled Water should just say "mineral water" on it, right? Do I need to look for anything specific? That's a good idea. Glad to know it's working! Makes a lot more sense to me than the meds they would give at the hospital.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, since I'm not used to alcohol something fruity would probably be most tasty to me - hopefully I won't need to buy it in bulk! If I have a glass can I just put the cork back in and it will keep, or does it get yucky after a few days/weeks??? Do you keep it in the fridge or the cupboard?

·
Registered
895 Posts
One thing you can do for flavor but to get the benefits of the red wine is to make a Wine Cooler/Spritzer. You can mix any red wine with club soda or 7-up/Sprite, put it over ice and even add a little citrus fruit for a garnish.

Wine does go bad. I would re-cork it and put it in the fridge, it will last about 4-5 days max. (though if you add 7-up it might taste better longer). You can buy smaller bottles at some places like Bev Mo, but if you have a glass a day you should be able to finish a bottle.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think mixing it all up with other things would reduce the medicinal value, wouldn't it? I don't know. If it were me, I'd go with a Merlot or a Cabernet. If you don't plan to drink if within a few days, I'd buy the individual serving pack. I've seen them at Wal-Mart and Target and various grocery stores in my area. Basically, it's a four pack of mini bottles that have 1-2 serving in each bottle. The others will keep until you crack them open.

Good luck to you...

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've heard vodka is actually better than wine for preterm labor, but not sure. In terms of hydration, I'm a HUGE fan of coconut water. I drink at least 8-12 ounces of it a day to help keep my electrolytes in balance. Gatorade would help do the same but I don't like it. Epsom salt baths can really help too.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post

Have you seen the barefoot wine?it is between 4-6 bucks depending where you are.It has a little footprint on the front.The cabernet is good as is the shiraz

The Barefoot wine is the best for the money out there! Have the Merlot if you really don't drink..it's lighter!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyMommee View Post
Thanks, since I'm not used to alcohol something fruity would probably be most tasty to me - hopefully I won't need to buy it in bulk! If I have a glass can I just put the cork back in and it will keep, or does it get yucky after a few days/weeks??? Do you keep it in the fridge or the cupboard?
It's got a screw top, so you don't even have to mess with a cork!
I think it tastes best cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.