Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I seem to be putting on some weight now that my 15-mo-old DS is eating more and nursing less. I'm sure I'm not burning as many calories nursing now, and I am also having a hard time staying away from his food (yummy comfort food like mac and cheese, hard-boiled eggs, etc). Additionally, it's getting wintery around here, I'm working PT, AND we're making changes in his nap routine so I'm no longer free to try to get some exercise at that time. Yikes!

Any tips on how to maintain weight and stay fit? Does anyone have any healthy habits to share--especially in a situation like mine where there's very little time to exercise?

I'm now avoiding snacking after DS goes to bed. We eat very early, from about 5:00-6:00, so that should be a good start. Any good video/DVD recommendations? If you could swing one exercise class once a week, what would it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No real advice or tips, but I am right there with you.
I lost a ton of weight while still nursing all the time, but DS is 18 months now and only nurses a little bit- so the weight is creeping back on. I try to make smarter choices, but it's so easy not to.
I do make it out to a class once, maybe twice a week- pilates. It's been great and I feel better about myself. I think if I could motivate myself to do 1 or 2 days of cardio, I'd be in good shape. It's tough though.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
No idea where you are or if weather is conducive to this for you, but at that age my kids came along with me when I exercised; I just put in a few miles around the neighborhood with them in a stroller, sling, or backpack. Sometimes, esp. if the weather was yuck and we were feeling housebound, I'd pack the kids in the car and go walk an indoor mall. I have never minded getting up very early, so I would sometimes use workout videos in the wee hours. If you check them out at the library or rent them instead of buying them, they don't get so boring.

If I could swing one exercise class a week, it would be yoga, but that's only because I'm not very experienced at it and need the help you can't get from a video.

Good luck! It's a tough transition, I know, but you'll stabilize soon. And remember, nursing changes cause major hormonal changes in you, so don't be surprised by absolutely anything that your body does. Never, ever, ever underestimate the power of hormones.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Man, I'm there with you as well. My DS is still nursing but after getting my AF back again, my hormones are making me irritable, hungry and feeling too drained to workout as much as I had been. To be honest, Im pretty damn scared I'll gain back the amount of weight I lost. My life was just NOT GOOD when I was this way before!

So, I'll be checkin back to see more advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.