Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea of getting some ideas in one place.
For us, I started vaccinating when the kids were older so the best thing for us was to explain what vaccines do and why they're important. I told them that the shots help teach their bodies how to fight viruses like ninjas. *shrug* it worked. :)
We also watched the Daniel tiger episode where he gets a shot before we left.
My middle had anxiety the first few visits but then they all became pros.

What strategies did you use to reduce anxiety and pain?

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Good idea about the Daniel Tiger episode! I'll probably do that before his 4-year appointment.

I'm going to use lots of distraction and bribery as well, if I'm being honest :) I'll download a new game for the iPad and bring it with us, and promise an ice cream treat and trip to the park or pool afterwards (weather permitting).

I'd love to hear any other suggestions you guys might have!

·
Registered
343 Posts
My daughter is 1, so really I didn't do much yet. Usually just nurse and cuddle before and after. She doesn't ever get a fever or fussy, sometimes a little tired, but that might be from the outing itself.

My son gets a ring pop which he loves and I don't let him have very often. I also get my flu shot at the same time and always go first so he can see me do it. But really he has never been too bad either. He doesn't love shots obviously but even his 4 year shots where he got several he was okay with it. He didn't cry and just said owie. On the other hand, I had to give him ear drops at one point for wax blockage, and you would have sworn I was pulling his toenails off. He cannot stand drops in the ear, up his nose, or even washing his hair.

Not sure what I will do with my daughter when she gets older.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
For me, one of the benefits of vaccinating on schedule is getting the bulk of the vaccines over before they really remember them.

I remember planning cuddles and BF time when they were little. Older I brought treats to distract (there's also some research which suggests sweet taste minimise pain).

Now we talk about what vaccines are for, and also plan treats for after.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for sharing and nice to see you in here!

Haha, thanks. I like this new "post in the spirit of the forum" rule. I know sometimes my posts elsewhere may not seem it but I'm really closer to VOS than INV on the sel/del spectrum. I say a lot from a rights point of view, but when it comes down to practice we'll be opting into more vaccines than we opt out. Of course, that's a post for sel/del, not here.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, thanks. I like this new "post in the spirit of the forum" rule. I know sometimes my posts elsewhere may not seem it but I'm really closer to VOS than INV on the sel/del spectrum. I say a lot from a rights point of view, but when it comes down to practice we'll be opting into more vaccines than we opt out. Of course, that's a post for sel/del, not here.
I think most people are on more of a spectrum. If I ever had another baby I wouldn't do all of the baby vaccines and I'd delay some of them so I really fit more with sel/del but I feel like I get more support in VOS most of the time due to where I am in life. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think most people are on more of a spectrum. If I ever had another baby I wouldn't do all of the baby vaccines and I'd delay some of them so I really fit more with sel/del but I feel like I get more support in VOS most of the time due to where I am in life. :)

I agree. I don't post a lot anyway, but I promise to play nice when I do and hopefully you lovely ladies don't mind me peeking in occasionally :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts