Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of related to one of the current conversations on the main vaccination board, what tips do you use to reduce fear and pain for kids for vaccines?

Ollie hasn't had any of his yet, but I've been doing some reading and found these recommendations for babies here in Canada. I'm interested to see if they will work for us.

http://resources.cpha.ca/immunize.ca/data/1825e.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Good luck. I hope they work.

My kids are older and we started vaccinations at school age, so none of those techniques would be of much help in our situation. At this age, it's usually bribery and loads of conversations in the days before and day of about "you remember, it wasn't so bad." My daughter especially tends to overthink it all and get worked up and then in the minutes afterwards, she's like, "Oh yeah, it wasn't that big a deal" (although with the sore arm for 10 days this past time, she's probably going to mention that next time we're in).

Given how my son reacted to having his titre done, I reckon when it's time for his Td here, there, wherever, it's going to take both parents and something pretty impressive afterwards to get him to set foot in the office for the whole series.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck. I hope they work.

My kids are older and we started vaccinations at school age, so none of those techniques would be of much help in our situation. At this age, it's usually bribery and loads of conversations in the days before and day of about "you remember, it wasn't so bad." My daughter especially tends to overthink it all and get worked up and then in the minutes afterwards, she's like, "Oh yeah, it wasn't that big a deal" (although with the sore arm for 10 days this past time, she's probably going to mention that next time we're in).

Given how my son reacted to having his titre done, I reckon when it's time for his Td here, there, wherever, it's going to take both parents and something pretty impressive afterwards to get him to set foot in the office for the whole series.

I imagine older children would be much tougher. I have major needle phobia and I get myself worked up so I understand how they feel.

They say the topicals can work for older kids and even adults too. A local mom said she did it for hers and it helped with the initial poke and soreness, but obviously can't totally get rid of the actual injection part.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Yep. Lots of bribery here. :thumb

Also, for babies and toddlers, it works much better to hold the child in your lap. One Medical Assistant insisted that DS lie down on the exam table. He was too squirmy, and she ended up leaving a scratch on his leg with the needle. :irked

For the older ones, I do employ the bribes, but I also stay very matter-of-fact about the whole affair. I figure that any anxiety that I convey may rub off on them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Lots of bribery here. :thumb

Also, for babies and toddlers, it works much better to hold the child in your lap. One Medical Assistant insisted that DS lie down on the exam table. He was too squirmy, and she ended up leaving a scratch on his leg with the needle. :irked

For the older ones, I do employ the bribes, but I also stay very matter-of-fact about the whole affair. I figure that any anxiety that I convey may rub off on them.

I definitely plan to hold him, I'm hoping to nurse him during it, hopefully that will give him some comfort. I would be angry if he got scratched, ugh.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
My girls are 12 and 13 and we don't discuss it in advance. The anxiety they build up in anticipation is much worse than the actual needle. Thankfully there aren't many once you pass the toddler years so we don't have to go through it very often since we don't do flu shots.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My girls are 12 and 13 and we don't discuss it in advance. The anxiety they build up in anticipation is much worse than the actual needle. Thankfully there aren't many once you pass the toddler years so we don't have to go through it very often since we don't do flu shots.
We have a few for high school--chicken pox if they didn't get it naturally, likely the 4vMenCV as well as their risk goes up noticeably in those years. So, I suppose I have to get used to shelling out. I wonder if my daughter will still be in my lap for those when she's 15. Lol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a couple here after toddlerhood. There's a 4-5 year dTap-IPV booster, grade 6(?) has HPV and then high school they do Tdap and men c. Flu shots along the way of course but we opt out of those.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
There's a couple here after toddlerhood. There's a 4-5 year dTap-IPV booster, grade 6(?) has HPV and then high school they do Tdap and men c. Flu shots along the way of course but we opt out of those.

They also do Hep B and HPV in grade 5.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They also do Hep B and HPV in grade 5.

PEI does Hep B as part of infanrix-hexa in infancy instead of later. It's frustrating, I know back home in NS they do it in grade 4, I remember getting it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HPV is mandated for your schools?

Not mandated (there are no true mandates here) but it's on the schedule and recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts