Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing this earlier and it seems I'm out numbered. I think it's totally inappropriate that a young baby or child be referred to as sexy.

I think this is the problem with our society, we view sexuality as just another frivolous emotion, or in this case, "just another word", instead of reserving it as a sacred emotion between two loving partners. Allowing sexuality, sensuality and sexiness to become the norm in little girls detracts from its sacredness later on, making them more vulnerable to inappropriate sexual encounters at a younger age. After all, they grew up being "sexy", so what is there to wait for?

My MIL bought my daughter a two piece swim suit. I don't let her wear it. I guess I'm a prude.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think its wierd. My MIL calles my son sexy....he's 10 months old. I think it's wierd and it makes me uncomfortable.

I wouldn't want my daughter (not that I have one) to wear a two piece suit, although I think they are really cute and I wore one as a child. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad....I think you have the final say. I really dislike the plants with sayings on the rear for young girls.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm with you on this. I had a hard time finding a 1 piece swim suit for my 6 m.o. that wasn't frilly/girly and pink ruffled. Gah. I absolutely hate it how strong gender socialization cues are even at this age.

I also think it's absolutely weird to call a baby or young child - any child really - sexy. That's a term you should be reserving for someone you have a physical sexual attraction to. Not a child or infant.

Guess I'm a prude, too. (shrugs) I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some people have bought my dd (6 mos) 2 peice swimsuits.....Over my dead body will she wear them!!!!!!!!!!
:

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I have heard people call young kids sexy. VERY inappropriate. That said, my girls wear 2 peice bathing suits! It's cute! (not sexy...)

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I am always amazed when people refer to a young child as sexy. It always makes me want to grab my dd and run. I usually hold her just a little bit tighter instead.

As for the 2 piece, all swim diapers (at least that I've found) are 2 pieces. Last summer when my dd was under 1, I just used the swim diaper, no top (but honestly we didn't go swimming that much!) This year, I bought a swim shirt (that I could only find with the boy suits, but thats another rant!) and a swim diaper and she's more covered than the typical 1 piece
Also, when you get to potty learning, 2 pieces make it a heck of a lot easier!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Another prude here! I am a Jr. High school teacher and I could rant at great length about the inappropriateness of "sexy" and children. Don't even mention thongs in my presence- I lose my mind!
:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I've never heard anyone call an infant or young child sexy?
:

I have two boys (they don't wear bikinis), but I would think the two pieces would make diaper changes/potty trips easier.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well, my little girl has a two-piece ruffly windex-blue swimsuit. It's the easiest one to get on her, and the bottom works well in a pinch as a diaper cover. I do feel that's it's more on the cute end of the spectrum-- it's not sexy at all! I have a BIG problem with obviously-sexy clothing for children, especially clothing with sayings printed on the butt and clothing that draws attention to nonexistent secondary sexual features, such as breasts and hips, in children. I also have a problem with pop music and videos that feature suggestive lyrics and dances and air at those times when young children are most likely to be watching, or play on the school bus.

But I don't have a problem with sensuality in children. I don't think that sensuality necessarily implies sexuality. Nursing and massage are two things that are undoubtedly sensual without being sexual.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpyshoegirl

But I don't have a problem with sensuality in children. I don't think that sensuality necessarily implies sexuality. Nursing and massage are two things that are undoubtedly sensual without being sexual.
I suppose you have a point there.

As for the bathing suit, I wouldn't mind a cover-all tankini type of thing. One that does not bare the midriff but still allows easy access for diaper changes, but the one my MIL got is like a string bikini style (well, the top anyway). It is way to revealing.

For some reason, seeing a young baby in nothing a but a diaper is normal, but when they're in a bathing suit that has a low cut topline and a bare midriff it becomes almost sexual. It's weird. Am I the only one who sees it that way?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGA
Some people have bought my dd (6 mos) 2 peice swimsuits.....Over my dead body will she wear them!!!!!!!!!!
:
My 9 month old wears a two piece bathing suit--I think she looks cute--there is NOTHING sexy about it and I would be seriously creeped out if someone said there were.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a son, so his bathing suits are trunks-only. However, I wore a bikini as a pre-schooler. I don't think there's anything wrong with a two-piece in and of itself. A two-piece, whether on a baby or on an adult, can be either appropriate or inappropriate, depending on cut. I don't think a baby/toddler belly being exposed by a bathing suit is weird, but I do think that if it's cut in a way that makes it more mature looking, then that could be a problem. It's one of those I know it when I see it things, kwim?

I think it's totally bizarre to refer to anyone who is pre-pubescent as sexy. (It's also weird for someone who is an adult to refer to a post-pubescent teenager as sexy, but it's not weird for another teenager to do so. That's why I made the distinction.) My 15 month old is not going to be a sexual person for a very long time, and I don't see any reason to rush him into it. Cute, adorable, handsome, sure. Sexy? Not on your life.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have 2 girls and think it's perfectly fine for them both to wear 2 piece swimsuits...we actually just got done swimming...(in our bikinis
)...but I have never considered it *sexy*...just really cute.
I think I'd find it EXTREMELY weird if anyone called them sexy!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't see the point of putting on more than just a bottom for girls. I lived in Europe for a good while and little girls mostly went around in just bottoms, basically until they actualy had something that could be covered up. I find it odd to see little girls, especially babies, in two piece suits because I find it sexualizes them needlessly by 'covering' something that isn't there.

That said, I also see nothing wrong with women going topless, so I guess I may be in a minority here....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seablue
I don't see the point of putting on more than just a bottom for girls. I lived in Europe for a good while and little girls mostly went around in just bottoms, basically until they actualy had something that could be covered up. I find it odd to see little girls, especially babies, in two piece suits because I find it sexualizes them needlessly by 'covering' something that isn't there.
hmmm... never thought about it this way! Makes sense. And I'm with a pp...Who are all of these adults calling babies sexy?
:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Quote:
Who are all of these adults calling babies sexy?
Well, I don't want to call them specifically out, but I know someone personally on Myspace that has a picture of her and her own daughter and the caption says "aren't we soooo SEXY???" Ughhh

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Quote:
I have heard people call young kids sexy. VERY inappropriate. That said, my girls wear 2 peice bathing suits! It's cute! (not sexy...)
:

My girl usually swims in just a swim diaper with no top. She has nothing to cover up so why bother putting on more clothes? She's usually just in a diaper at home though.

I think it's pretty messed up for anyone to call any baby or child 'sexy'.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i have called ds spunky and shexay from birth...but we are just having fun.

regardless of that fact though, i wouldnt let a young daughter wear a two peice until their teens.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm

: Same here. Then again, I don't have money to make choices about what they wear.
Calling an infant or child or pre-teen 'sexy' is wrong and just plain icky.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVC
My 9 month old wears a two piece bathing suit--I think she looks cute--there is NOTHING sexy about it and I would be seriously creeped out if someone said there were.
Same here. Referring to a child or infant as "sexy" is quite simply disgusting.

My daughters both wear two piece swimsuits, though. One has only begun using the toilet fairly recently and a two piece is much faster and easier for potty using than a one piece is. The other is an infant in diapers and diaper changing is much easier with a two piece. Her swim diapers fit much better with the two piece than with a one piece, too.

Comfort is tantamount, IMO.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts