Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the doc today to have baby son #2 checked out for reflux. We have been having a trying time and I really believe that is what is happening. He doesn't spit up much but has always made this strange gulping sound when lying prone and more recently has started to just cry so angrily when he makes that, when he burps, and most upsetting when he is nursing and gets to a certain full point. Sometimes I hear that gulp and then milk runs out of his mouth when nursing he starts to cry... My first was fussy at times and since he was born at 35 weeks we had our own nursing challenges but I think this is just wrong. Anyways, I started holding or putting him upright after feeding and nursing more often for less time. Any nursing advice? I am trying to hold him more upright but jeesh it isn't easy

·
Registered
838 Posts
I hear you! So much for laying down and nursing! The only way DS can nurse comfortably is on the My Breast Friend with three pillows under whatever knee his head is over. He is pretty darn inclined, but that is all that has worked for us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc prescribed Xantac and I just can't get around how awful it would taste for an infant. But we started today. I just pop it in there and then put him on the breast so he can get rid of it. I will try your positioning idea. Thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Our DS #1 had reflux and it was very tiring and challenging to say the least. Although the standard advice is lay the baby on his back, I found nursing DS on his Boppy and allowing him to sleep on his side was the best remedy for limiting his spit-ups, lengthening his length sleeping time and limiting his painful crying. My doctor (I'm in Ontario, Canada) didn't treat the reflux so this was my solution along with watching my diet and noting things that increased DS's reflux. I found eating dairy, melon and garlic particularly bothered him. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just eliminated dairy from my diet today (drank rice milk for first time--ugh). But had cantaloupe for dessert maybe that was a bad idea! My mom suggested I diary what I eat to try and help him and will. Thanks or your support.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Have you tried using a sling or other carrier to keep your little guy upright? I kept my little guy sitting upright in a sling most of the day until he wanted down crawling around. I also held him upright either with me sitting half up or with his head on my shoulder while we were sleeping. He would choke and spew so bad while he was sleeping the idea of having him in another room was flat out scary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi friend and thank you. Your photos are such a great help!! I am going to try that with our sling. Did you medicate your little guy? I am really not happy with giving this guy Zantac. But I hope it will help him. Dh is away on business so I definitely am sleeping with little Gianni. We had just moved him to his room when we noticed these symptoms but he and I are sleeping better together with him propped up. He does get in a deep sleep and stops the gulping/choking but why take the chance...otherwise I was going to fall asleep in the chair with him. You know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm glad the pictures helped. My ds is currently on a maxed out dose of Zantac for his weight. My dd was on Zantac until she was close to 3 which is very unusual, but they both appear to have some stomach problems that run in dh's family. I wish they didn't have the stomach problems that they have/had, but they do. It ends up being either give meds or have a miserable baby. I'd much rather give the meds then have a miserable baby so we live with this until he outgrows it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts