Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>my daughter is 11 weeks (7 weeks adjusted) and has reflux. We started her on prevacid and she's still constantly spitting up, but her weight gain is fine and shes actually able to sleep now for more than 15 minutes at a time.  Her pedi wants to do an upper gi next week (where im not suppose to feed her for 4 hours beforehand) and possibly start her on reglan.</p>
<p>After reading up on reglan, im a little wary of the side effects and considering just sticking with the prevacid since shes not as fussy and is still gaining well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone elses pedi suggested reglan? What'd you do?</p>

·
Registered
355 Posts
<p>DS had terrible reflux that made him a very unhappy infant (he too was on the no-sleep EVER schedule like it sounds like yours was--I'm glad the prevacid is making her more comfortable!). DS's regular pedi prescribed reglan and xantac, and we did not see much improvement on those drugs. After waiting almost 5 months to get into the pedi GI, she switched him off both of those and onto prevacid only. She said reglan used to be the go-to med, but that she doesn't prescribe it much b/c she doesn't think it did anything (especially since we hadn't seen improvement with it). If I were in your position, I"d just stick with the prevacid. Also, none of these meds will stop the spitting up--they will just keep the acid from burning as much, so making the baby more comfortable. DS only finally stopped spitting up in the last couple of months (he's 19 mos now), and we quit doing the prevacid when the spit-up stopped, and it doesn't seem to have bothered him.</p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>Mama, this sounds quite frustrating.  I am sorry you have to go through this.....</p>
<p>My baby didn't have quite the extreme that you are experiencing, but we found chamomile tea to be very helpful.  When she was tiny like yours, I drank several cups of tea each day so it would pass through my milk.  We noticed a change in her comfort level the first night, and noticed her getting uncomfortable on the nights I missed my tea. </p>
<p>Regarding the meds..... talk to your pedi about them, and other alternatives.  What didn't work for others may work for your LO, and vice versa. </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>
<p>Oh, and it sounds like you are nervous about the upper GI scan.  If you block nurse before and after, your LO should be able to get through the 4 hour block of not nursing just fine.</p>
<p>~maddymama</p>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>thanks ladies!</p>
<p>My pedi made it seem like the prevacid should stop the spitting up so it makes more sense now that shes a "happy spitter". Im just happy shes able to sleep again with it.</p>
<p>Ill definitely look into the tea and talk with the pedi after the gi. and i hadnt thought of block nursing, thanks! i was really worried about that since she nurses about every two hours or so.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts