Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We have been struggling with a not-so-happy baby for awhile now and are getting pretty frustrated.

What we first thought was just gas from food allergies, now seems like reflux. Possibly we had both. Here are his symtoms:

-Gassy all the time, brings his legs up and grunts trying to pass gas (this has gotten better with modified diet for me- no dairy, tomatoes, spicy, caffiene, wheat)
-lately seems to be clenching his stomach
- generally cranky and fussy a lot of the time, seems like something is always wrong.
- some days will spit up a lot, others none at all.
- swallows his spit up
- when he was smaller (up to 2 months) he did a strange choking gagging thing at night.
- coughs a lot
- arches his back a lot
- recntly (last 2 weeks) he hasn't wanted to lay down to nurse or rock, etc. screams and arches his back when I hold him in a cradle hold to breastfeed. Often he will latch on for only a second, suck, then arch his back, pull off, and cry or fuss.
- seems to be swallowing air a lot when nursing.

He has basically been living in the Ergo. He will nurse in the Ergo, and fall asleep in the ergo. At night, he will nurse normally in the sidelying position. Or when he's really tired he will, too. Oh- we also have had on and off thush forever.

We have been to his pediatrician with this- she is a Naturopath, and pretty laid back. This is one thing we WANTED when selecting a Naturopath, someone who will try all methods of helping him- someone who would first choose a natural route, but if needed would refer or prescribe us more mainstream meds.

We have tried Gripe Water, Mylecon drops, homeopathic remedies, eliminating food, etc. The food elimination has helped with the gas a bit. The homeopathic colic stuff will help a lot when he's having a "melt down". We tried Maalox (just a little) to see if that would help the reflux, it seemed like it might, but then we went to his Naturopath and she gave us Slippery Elm and L-Glutamine to give instead, saying it is milder on the stomach. She also gave us the homeopathic remedy Chamomile. They seem to help a bit, but she wasn't clear how often we should give it to him. It seems like all this stuff you give after they are already in pain or upset- we want to just solve the problem and prevent him from getting so upset.

And frankly I want to hold him in my arms and nurse him again. I am glad he will nurse in the Ergo, but I really miss that closeness and I think he does, too.

DH and I have decided to switch doctors for him. This one is very nice, but she mostly treats adults. We want to take him to a place where they see a lot of kids and are current on everything. Now I am not so sure we should go to another Naturopath cause I am ready to give up on the natural remedies. Or maybe the next one will be more willing to look into the reflux thing.

Ugh, I just want my little man to be happy! Thank you all for listening- this has been part vent, part question. Any suggestions out there on what we should do?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
First just wanted to say he is soooo cute and I love the VS nurse-in pics

My dd has silent reflux. I didn't realize till she was 6 months
Her Ped sucked and didn't listen to me.( I am currently looking for another health care provider) Anyway, it was causing her so much pain to nurse that she almost went on a complete strike. Finally I got a script for Zanatc and she started to improve A TINY BIT...so I was getting convinced it was for sure reflux. But the Zantac was not strong enough b/c she was still SOOO fussy at the breast and constantly woke up w/ ear piercing cries during the night. Now is on Prilosec and is doing GREAT. She has been on it for a few months now and I just started cutting back the amount and hopefully she will be weaned off it soon. Plus she goes to Chiro now.

From your post it sounds ALOT like my dd. I would most definetly consider reflux.

"- recntly (last 2 weeks) he hasn't wanted to lay down to nurse or rock, etc. screams and arches his back when I hold him in a cradle hold to breastfeed. Often he will latch on for only a second, suck, then arch his back, pull off, and cry or fuss."

this was our main reflux symptom...it almost caused early weaning.

sory nak

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you momtoNatalee for your reply (as well as your comments, he is pretty darn cute!).

I have also wondered if nipple confusion can start this late (he's 4 months old). I am doubtful, since he only gets a bottle of pumped milk a couple evenings a week while I'm at work, and he's been doing that for 2 months now. He's had a pacifier longer. There have been no nursing problems until the last couple of weeks.

Today he hasn't really eaten at all since 6:30 am. he did take a few sucks around 9:30, but it was maybe 30 seconds, and he spit it up right after he unlatched. I wonder if he has his days/nights confused? Or maybe he just will only nurse when he's super tired because of the discomfort it causes.

We will definitely get into a new doctor- I LOVE natural remedies, but if a prescription will make him not go through this pain, I'll do it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Could it possibly be that you have a forceful let-down? Take a look at this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=487959. I have a two month old and just figured out that this is what's causing my 2-month-old to cry right before I put her to my breast, gag a bit, and be so gassy. I have worked on positioning and block feeding and (so far, only been 2 days) it's working.

Good luck finding an answer to your question!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I understand, I hate it dd has to take meds. But this is this place I got soo much support. Most here feel meds for reflux are important. Mostly I think its important to sure make baby doesn't associate pain w/ eating.

Usamama in a reflux expert, would coudl PM her and she will be very helpful

And just a though about the nipple confusion thing, I read this at kellymom.com
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...flowpreference

if you go down to wear it says "baby wants a faster milk flow" it talks about bottles-it says something about using a newborn nipple

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Sounds like it could be reflux, but my dd had some of those symptoms, and it wasn't (e.g., crying while nursing, but nursing lying down fine at night). Here is a recent thread on gasiness and digestive upset, and you can read here for more details on what I went through with my dd. You might also want to read this post. Good luck, mama!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry you guys are going through this!

Quote:
-Gassy all the time, brings his legs up and grunts trying to pass gas (this has gotten better with modified diet for me- no dairy, tomatoes, spicy, caffiene, wheat)
-lately seems to be clenching his stomach
- generally cranky and fussy a lot of the time, seems like something is always wrong.
- some days will spit up a lot, others none at all.
- swallows his spit up
- when he was smaller (up to 2 months) he did a strange choking gagging thing at night.
- coughs a lot
- arches his back a lot
- recntly (last 2 weeks) he hasn't wanted to lay down to nurse or rock, etc. screams and arches his back when I hold him in a cradle hold to breastfeed. Often he will latch on for only a second, suck, then arch his back, pull off, and cry or fuss.
- seems to be swallowing air a lot when nursing.
Sounds just like my DS. Does he have any congestion? Does he ever snore while sleeping? Do you hear or feel any wheezing from time to time? (or frequently) Those are also symptoms of reflux. I didn't recognize them.
I kept thinking he had a cold in addition to the pain, which I kept thinking might be his ears from congestion.
: When I finally went to the pedi and described his symptoms he told me that it sounded like reflux. I had no idea. I thought they spit up a lot with it and Noah only did from time to time. I felt bad for not knowing.

At any rate, your DS has a lot of similar symptoms. You might take him in and have him evaluated. If it is reflux, it can eventually cause some permanent damage to the esophogus if left untreated. Right now we are using Zantac and chiropractic. The chiro definitely helps with pain relief. The zantac isn't working as well as I'd like. A pedi friend has recommended upping the zantac or giving prevacid or prilosec a try. I don't like the idea of giving meds to a babe, but I don't think they should have to live in such pain. There is relief out there for him, mama, if it is indeed reflux. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When do you guys give the Zantac to ur babies?? Before , during or after feeding?Also, I breastfeed, so should I pump a little and mix it with Zantac? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all! I am hoping that his naturopath will follow up with the reflux, cause that really seems to be it. Lonestarmommy, YES! He is badly congested at night, and often has a raspy throat.

He goes to a chiro, and it seems to help. I am wary of the whole reflux exam- don't they have to put a tube down his throat, etc. before they can prescribe him Zantac or something like that?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
Thanks, all! I am hoping that his naturopath will follow up with the reflux, cause that really seems to be it. Lonestarmommy, YES! He is badly congested at night, and often has a raspy throat.

He goes to a chiro, and it seems to help. I am wary of the whole reflux exam- don't they have to put a tube down his throat, etc. before they can prescribe him Zantac or something like that?
NO, my dd had no test. She just went straight on Zantac(well after Reglan-but I took her off that after like after a day or 2)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
There's no test for reflux. There are other tests to eliminate other possibilities (my baby was almost back to her birth weight at 10 weeks, so they wanted to be certain it wasn't something more serious), but no test FOR reflux.

I didn't like the idea of giving meds to my new teeny baby. I wanted to work with other more natural remedies but I had to give that up. It was hard to let go of my 'ideal' of being the mommy who didn't medicate or rush to the doc for every little thing, but my baby shouldn't have to suffer so I can hang on to my pre-concieved parenting ideas, y'know?

She flat refused the Zantac, loves the Previcid (once I figured out that I should dilute the soultab with as little water as possible, on a regular spoon, and give it to her lying down. She starts flapping when she sees it coming) and Maalox did WONDERS for the gas and reflux pain. It goes right to work where as Previcid is more a long term managment thing. My doc has been great about helping us adjust the dosage and he, like we are, is very eager to get her off as soon as she's ready so I feel really comfortable that I'm not going to be medicating my baby for something long after she's out-grown it. And it's made ALL the difference. She was never happy before. I didn't get those little smiles or laughs. Then once the meds kicked in, she's totally different. She's so much happier, finally, so I know I did the right thing for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts