Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some sourdough starter and want to put it in the fridge becuase I won't need it for a little while. Should I leave just cheescloth over the top or should I put a real lid on it? Does it need access to air? Will all of the yeasties and stuff in there contaminate the other food in the fridge if it isn't sealed? Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snugglebug14
I made some sourdough starter and want to put it in the fridge becuase I won't need it for a little while. Should I leave just cheescloth over the top or should I put a real lid on it? Does it need access to air? Will all of the yeasties and stuff in there contaminate the other food in the fridge if it isn't sealed? Thanks
I have one that has been going for 35 years (it was cultured from my mother's starter) and I keep it in the refrigerator in a glass jar with a tight lid. I've never had a problem. It can stay in there for months. When you want to use it, or if you just want to give it a little food, put in 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup warm water and let it sit overnight in a warm place. When it sits in the refrigerator for a long time, it gets pretty sour, but refreshing it a couple of times will make it milder.

Ann

1 - 2 of 2 Posts