Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost 31 weeks, after my next appt I will start going every 2 weeks. My DH thinks this is ridiculous and I don't need it but I will go. A friend of mine mentioned they will want to start doing internal exams, do they usually? I will refuse, they are not needed and increase risk of infection, this boy is doing just fine! Any info you all have for me would be great so I can show up prepared. (Really wish I could HB but that's another topic!)

· Registered
553 Posts
This seems to vary dr. to dr. With my first pregnancy, my dr. only did one cervical check before I was in labour--at 39 weeks. Her reason for doing it was so that I would know what it was like before labour and so there was a baseline to compare with when I showed up at the hospital. She was quick and gentle and I didn't mind too much at the time. I've heard of other drs checking starting much earlier, more often, being less gentle, etc.

Subsequent pregnancies, I haven't had any exams before labour, but I was with a midwife.

You can refuse if your dr wants to do an exam. Even if you want to test for gbs, it's just a swab and shouldn't involve your cervix.

· Registered
5,016 Posts
Also, just an FYI, if you and your Dr. are disagreeing about induction towards the end of your pregnancy he could strip your membranes without asking you first! It happened to a friend of mine. I'll be keeping my legs shut. It doesn't actually matter how dialated you are before labour and if you haven't changed since your last appt. you will only feel frustrated!

My Dr. doesn't do this til the end (like 38 weeks on) and I will be saying "No thanks!" when she does!

· Registered
347 Posts
Vaginal exams are totally unnecessary. I never had them with either pregnancy, not even in labor. Knowing how much you are dilated tells you nothing about when your baby will be born and can cause stress for the mother. (Like if you're told "you're starting to dilate, you're getting close," and then it takes two more weeks.) There's also the risk of infection. I would simply request that your doctor not do them.

· Registered
3,655 Posts
I am 33 weeks yesterday.

If I was seeing a doctor, I wouldn't let them near that area after 37 weeks. I wouldn't trust them.

I trust my MW, and she will need to access that area at our next visit (2 weeks from now) for a swab for testing.

My MW has only done one vaginal exam, at the first visit, which she said was to locate some landmarks. She asked my permission and was very concerned about me feeling OK about it. This means a lot to me.

OP, if I were you, I would ask them what they would be looking for.

· Registered
911 Posts
my OB has never done a vaginal exam late in pregnancy. They do one waaaay early on to confirm your pregnancy and whatever... but never again until you're in labor.

I wouldn't want anyone messing around with me near the end of my pregnancy... not even dh.

· Registered
1,669 Posts
Kim - Don't even make it an option - do NOT take off your clothes!!! I never undress at the doctors office (unless I think there is a good reason for me to "get into a gown") AND I always sit in the real chair (NOT the exam table).

· Registered
348 Posts
With my last pregnancy, I didn't have a vaginal exam until the middle of labor when I was 6cm. IMHO, for a normal happy pregnancy, there is not a good reason to do one before you get to the hospital in labor or ask your midwife to come over during labor.

I do think it is very normal with OBs and midwives and HB midwives to see clients every two weeks in the third trimester and every week in the final month.

Good luck!

· Registered
646 Posts
Stick to your guns, mama. You get to be the one making decisions about what's right for you. No one is the boss of you. Anyone caring for you should be doing things however YOU want to do them. I decided right away that I would not be having prenatal vaginal exams. The midwives at my birth center agree.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I will definately stick to my guns, and keep my clothes on
I have already had to deal with refusing the gestational diabetes test so as long as I am well informed I am comfortable dealing with this. It is so sad that I have to "fight" for everything I want. This is after all my baby and my birth. If they push me too far I will ask why they have to try to dictate how my pregnancy and birth will go. That should shut them up! Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.