Mothering Forum banner

Refusing Vitamin K Injection

482 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ~member~ 
#1 ·
Which of you have refused the vitamin K injection when your babies were born and were you easily able to obtain the oral vitamin K instead? Did you get it via prescription or elsewhere?

#3 ·
we refused the vit K with dd. the ped told me that she could give me a scrip for vit K to be used orally (but that it would be the exact same thing that they inject).

#4 ·
Vitamin K for Newborns is an unbiased article about this.

1/3 of babies who have the hemorraging/brain bleeding issue have no known risk factors.

I'm not vaxing my child but I am not against a vitamin K supplement; I just don't want the injection which has other wonderful goodies in it like aluminum, and gives them way too much at once. An oral supplement over the course of several weeks would work just as well as the injection. But I discovered in my research that an oral supplement for infants is hard to come by in the US and I was wondering if any of you tried to go this route and where you got your oral vit K from.

I do NOT want to just feed my baby the same thing she'd get in the injection ...

#5 ·
Quote:
Although the concentration of VK was found to be slightly higher in colostrum than mature milk, the authors point out that the total daily intake of VK in infants increases over time due to the fact that milk volume increases substantially over time.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/enews/enews0141.asp

As long as you let your baby have colostrum, there really is no need for oral Vit. K.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.