Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a family practitioner for all of us ... I've been seeing him since high school I think. He has seen all of our boys since they were born, and knows that both of our older boys were vax'd up until close to 2 years. Ds#1 was vax'd until 2; ds#2 was vax'ed until 18 months. When we took ds#2 in for his 2 year check, I told our doctor that we were delaying any further vax's. He said okay, though he thinks we should give the DTaP because of the incidence of diptheria and pertussis. He also said that ds#2 would need the booster before entering school, but since we are hs'ing, that it's a moot point.

We live in CA where I don't have to sign/file anything until each boy is registered for school. Again, we are hs'ing, so all I need to do is get a copy of the vax sheet and sign the waiver on the back. I can't get it to load right now, but it basically states that vaccinations are against my personal beliefs.

My question is this: We now have ds#3 and took him in yesterday for his 1 month check over. I don't mind taking them to their WBV or yearly check-ups. Our doctor is very nice, the staff is easy, and it's walking distance from our house. We told our doctor when we took Ds#3 in at 1 week that we weren't vax'ing and he didn't even bat an eye. So, yesterday he made mention to ds while checking his ears that he'd be getting one shot, and then looked up at us and said, oh yea, no shots for you. Then he told us that this shot (99% sure Hep B) he doesn't care about and doesn't argue about. But other shots he does care about and likes to argue about. He didn't say this meanly, but more in a fashion of he likes to discuss with parents the other ones and probably stresses the importance of them to make sure the parents have done their homework. My thinking is this though: If we are filing the equivalent eventually of a religious exemption, shouldn't we avoid the "why we don't vax" discussion with our doctor and simply tell him when it comes up that vax'ing is against our religious beliefs? I'm thinking that getting into a discussion with him about the ingredients, adverse reactions, probability of disease, treatments of disease would basically undermine our "religious" reasons for not vaxing. Am I correct here? Or is there no harm in going in armed with information as to why we don't vax?

*Sorry this got wordy ...

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Just say no. Tell him that it's not up for discussion that you've made your decision. And, hello, diptheria? Um, research your stats dude.

-Angela

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Diptheria? Ol' boy needs to quit drinking the rubbing alcohol.

As for your question, there is no harm in going in armed and prepared. Harmfull is when people aren't prepared and are easily swayed by the white coat and big words.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Just say no. Tell him that it's not up for discussion that you've made your decision. And, hello, diptheria? Um, research your stats dude.
exactly what I was thinking, and I consider myself horribly under informed (NOT uniformed) when it comes to vaxxing and diseases - although I am always researching.

With stats like his - it's useless arguing with him. IME dr.'s don't like it when you tell them the hundred thou they spent on med school didn't give them correct info.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I thought this thread was the right place to share this-being it is stuff the Doc said that was just ??:

DS had one shot ever..Hep B. a few weeks before I decided to delay. (the rest is history). Anyway, before he got it I said to the Doc, "What shot are you giving him?" His response "a shot of whiskey!" No lie. that man wasa character. He also lost all DS records, so he has no record of that shot or his first year...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I wouldn't argue with him because it won't really help and probably make you frustrated. Your doctor would actually have to believe that your information is good and the fact that he wants you to understand

Quote:
the importance of them to make sure the parents have done their homework
indicates to me he just wants an opportunity to change your mind. I would tell him that you are comfortable with your decision and would appreciate his respect of your ability to be a free thinker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts