Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone stop reglan (for milk supply) and felt better right away? I stopped it for a few days and my milk supply was gone. not sure what to do. i'm trying to get domperidone for the low supply problem, but i feel really miserable now. i keep obsessing and making lists over how long shes napped, when she ate last, how much formula to supplement with... all i do is watch the clock all day, and cry. any advice?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reglan also made me very depressed, what worked best for my milk supply was weaning off one pill every few weeks. Eventually I was taking one pill every other day, then none. It did work well to increase my supply but the dreaded depression came with it too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i don't have any experience with this drug, but I have heard over and over and over again that is definitely causes depression.

On the other hand, having trouble with breastfeeding also contributes to a lot of women's PPD.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you start feeling better soon! Have you found any local support groups?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Leaving the house seems so difficult now. i went to a lll meeting and was so stressed about if she'd cry in the car and at the meeting, when to leave, when to feed her... even getting dressed each day is hard. dh works long hours and i have no family here, thats not helping. my mom came this weekend and i cried the whole time.

i've cut back from 4.5 to 3 pills a day this week. of course cutting the pills makes me lose supply and i feel worse. ugh.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A friend of mine became severely depressed after taking Reglan. In the end, IMO, it is much safer to have your mental health in check than to risk it by taking this medication. Not that Reglan makes everyone depressed, but I have seen a really, really bad case of it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wanted to add... even though I'm sure you know this... that breastfeeding, (or not breastfeeding) is such a tiny part of the whole picture of mothering. If focusing on breastfeeding and adding a drug into the mix that is effecting you negatively are making life unbearable right now, its ok to let it go. I'm not at all suggesting that you should stop trying to increase your supply. I'm just saying if there is a part of you that wants to move on and let it go, its ok to give yourself that permission.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the support. i feel the ppd/anxiety comes and goes, worst in the afternoon around 1-4pm, then i feel great in the evenings. earlier today i was so freaked about taking her to our 6 week checkup tomorrow, now i'm looking forward to it. and it's not dependant on what the baby is doing, like sometimes i'll be crying when shes laughing and feel fine when shes fussy. is that normal ppd or the reglan?

i see what you mean about giving up nursing to be a better mom overall. its not only the health benefits though. shes such a comfort nurser, i feel she needs that. at least theres a little. Down to one reglan a day and still have milk.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to update in case anyone searches for this. I stopped the pills pretty abruptly and felt almost completely normal the day after the last one. All the crying, all the obsessing, it all just stopped.

I really feel for all of you going through ppd. Those 2-3 weeks were hell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.