Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am really, really torn about taking Reglan.  The potential side effects are no joke.  Tardive dyskinesia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, involuntary movement disorders, serotonin, syndrome, unrelenting depression and panic attacks... I'm actually really, really scared to take it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I have a prescription for it, but am unsure about whether to take it or not.  I am also taking Prozac and the risks of some side effects are increased due to drug interactions.  I've had long discussions with both my doctor and pharmacist, and still can't decide what to do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have ordered domperidone, but that will take 7-14 days to get here.  So I would only need to take the Reglan until the dom gets here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My DS is seven months old.  He has only nursed on one side since he was about 8 weeks old, so that puts me at a bit of disadvantage, supply-wise. When I went back to work part time when he was four months old (three days a week - 8 hour shifts) my milk supply started going down.  It's really tanking now.  He gets about 24 oz. of formula a day.  I am fine with doing a combo of breast milk and formula, but now I'm worried about being able to give him any breast milk at all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He is having a procedure done in a few weeks for which he needs general anesthesia (laryngoscopy).  I would really, really like to be able to nurse him to get him through this, but at this point I wouldn't have enough milk.  I am saving all my pumped milk instead of giving it to him when I'm working, so I will have some frozen breast milk I can give him on the day of the procedure.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Longer term, if I can at least keep nursing up through the cold and flu season, I would be totally pleased with that.  He has hardly been sick at all so far, despite having asthma/airway problems and being in daycare.  I have to attribute this at least partially to nursing. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, what would you do?  Any advice from those who have done the Reglan thing?  Would you do it again?   Will two weeks of that awful drug ruin my life?  Is it worth it?</p>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
<p>Personally, I was way too scared off by it. I would just try and hold tight until your dom arrives. Especially if it can interact w/the prozac. Are you sure it is ok to take dom while on prozac?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cindy</p>

·
Registered
707 Posts
<p>I took a course/round of Reglan back in 2007 and will never, ever do it again.  I felt so anxious and out of sorts, jittery and depressed.  It was not worth it.  Horrible, horrible.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Domperidone however...miracle drug. The bad thing was I took it at the highest dose and ate like a farmhand.  Ended up gaining 20 lbs over the 9 or so months I was on it.  It was of course worth it in order to pump enough milk for my little guy while I was at work.  He never had a drop of formula.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck in whatever you decide.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts