Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was on this site about two years ago but got caught up in life so to speak. I got a job and had a baby all in the same year
So I'll reintroduce myself: I'm Ginger aka Dagmar (top secret screen name LOL). I moved here from Maine via Mexico City about three years ago. I have a four year old son and a 13 month old daughter. We plan on one more in about three years. I teach English at the local alternative high school where I've inadvertantly became the resident breastfeeding mama (we house the pregnant teen program for CMS).

We have been a bit unhappy here as we know no one even after three years. I would very much like to get to know people before we make a decision to move. We're looking at Durham but we want to give Charlotte a chance.

Ginger

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi Ginger! I'm Heather and I am a SAHM to Christopher who will be 20 months on Thursday and soon to be mommy to David due 09/03/2004. I live in Southwest Charlotte about 5 minutes from Carowinds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Ginger,
My name is Kelly and I am a SAHM to 3 boys....Jake (5), Adam (3), and Cody (10 months). I live in south Charlotte. When I had my oldest and stopped working it was just like living in a new city. I had to meet all new friends because everyone I knew worked. The best thing for me was joining the MOMS Club. There are several groups around the city. If you are anywhere near south Charlotte/Ballantyne/Matthews/Weddington area I can give you some additional information on the groups on this side of town.

Now if I could meet more people in town who are more AP, cloth diaper, co-sleep, breastfeed, etc. I'd be set

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi ladies-
I'm Kendall. I'm in the University area. I know lots of AP mamas here in Charlotte.

Kelly, my best friend has a 5 year old son, a 2 year old son, and is expecting another boy in November. All of my friends and myself are AP, co-sleep, cloth diaper, breastfeed, and most are planning to homeschool.

Ginger, dh designs for the billboard company in town and did a board for an alternative school that said Military school without the military. Can't remember the name of the school now. Was wondering if that's where you work.

Twins just woke up-must run. Take care and would love to talk to you all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mum2lillie
Hi ladies-
I'm Kendall. I'm in the University area. I know lots of AP mamas here in Charlotte.

Kelly, my best friend has a 5 year old son, a 2 year old son, and is expecting another boy in November. All of my friends and myself are AP, co-sleep, cloth diaper, breastfeed, and most are planning to homeschool.
Hi Kendall. I am learning that there are a lot of AP mamas around here. I must just be hanging out in the wrong places.
I keep learning of new groups I could attend but with my oldest starting Kindergarten in the fall, and my middle one in preschool I am thinking I will be too busy to attend many new groups.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Hi Ginger,

My name is Theresa and I'm a SAHM to 3.5 yo Holly and 21 mo Alex. We just moved here from northern WI in March and it's taking me a while to get to know people too! I'm up in the University area like mum2lillie (haven't crossed paths yet, though.) My dh travels a lot for work so I'm stuck here by myself most of the time. I have started to go to a playgroup through LLL in the Arboretum area. I've met a lot of really cool moms through that but it's on the other end of town so it's a lot of driving to get together!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Theresa-e-mail me and maybe we can get together sometime. I'm not far from Reedy Creek Park. We like to go to the nature center there. We also spend lots of time at Discovery Place. I'd love to get your docs info, too. I saw your post on the other Charlotte board. I'm looking for a family doc that we can see who's slightly open-minded. [email protected]

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was on that web site for a while when it was new. I read some of the postings and kind of thought it was more of a mainstream moms thing. Is it not? I already have an amazing group of mamas I hang out with, but am always looking for interesting ladies to get together with. I have a hard time fitting in with mainstream circles because we do things pretty differently and I prefer to hang out with moms who are similar in parenting styles. I almost died at a mothers of multiples meeting. I was the only one out of like 50 women who brought their babies. I was treating it like a la leche league meeting, but I was wrong to think that way. It was horrible for me. If I'm wrong about the charlotte mommies group being more mainstream, then I would love to know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjohnson
I would say that 80% of the group are mainstream. There are a few of us crunchy moms that hang out on the board. Lately we have been discussing our diapers stashes.
I haven't been in the group long enough to know really but the mainstream vibe did almost scare me off at first. The longer I stay I am realizing that not everyone is mainstream.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Kelly we missed you at the Natural Parenting group yesterday. I met Tonya's (your partner in ApplePieBaby) neighbor yesterday at the group. Her 5 week old son is adorable!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjohnson
Kelly we missed you at the Natural Parenting group yesterday. I met Tonya's (your partner in ApplePieBaby) neighbor yesterday at the group. Her 5 week old son is adorable!
Unfortunately I had other plans already so I could not go. I should be able to make it in August I think (don't have my calendar right now). After August though when school starts for the boys I won't be able to make it. I guess one month is better than never, huh?

Which neighbor did you meet? There are so many of her neighbors with new babies. I am guessing it was Jessica? I saw her baby on July 4th when he was 2 weeks old and it made me want another baby. Now I can't stop wanting a 4th and it's all her fault

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Kendall and Theresa, you might want to check out http://www.charlottemommies.com Kelly and I are members there. There are a lot of active members and lots of get togethers and playdates as well
I, too, was scared off by the seemingly mainstream vibe. I did join back in April but I don't think I've been back to the site since. I have found some really great moms through this site.

Heather, when is the next meeting for the Natural Parenting Group....I would love to join!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am in the same playgroup as mama0002-hi Theresa!
It is a great group of LLL gals. It is the best playgroup that I've ever been a part of. Everyone bf's, most extend-we did until dd was 3. Some cd, some don't and we don't harrass them too much about it (just kidding). Some eat vegetarian, some don't ,etc. All in all it is a wonderfully supportive group of women. We just started doing Mother's Night Out every month (only little nurslings allowed-oh and moms too! hehehe) last November and recently we started our own bookclub. Next month we are doing a sewing circle too! It is just a great group of women and I could go on and on about them! If you want to come join us, please do. We usually meet at Sardis Park at the corner of Hwy 51 and Sardis Rd. on Fridays at 10am.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.