Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,<br>
My 8mo son is almost exclusively breastfed. After a cold and an ear infection, I took him off all solids because he couldn't keep it down. (He had banana, sweet potato and Cheerios until then).<br><br>
He is so interested in food and I want to reintroduce solids again. DS is more interested in foods he can feed himself. Are Cheerios nutritionally sensible? They are made of whole wheat, have lots of iron, are portable and DS loves to play with them. I wanted to start with banana, then Cheerios so he could always have some finger food on the go. After the Cheerios, I would slowly introduce other foods - sweet potato, carrots, etc.<br><br>
Please let me know your opinions on this. I don't want to give my son processed foods.<br>
TIA!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Are Cheerios really whole wheat? I didn't think they were. THat's interesting. I gave Oatios instead. They are organic and made without preservatives. However all packaged cereals are very processed - better as a treat than a regular dish.<br><br>
Avocado is a great starter food - full of beneficial fats and easy to digest. Whole grains like millet and brown rice are great and don't have the gluten of wheat. Cook them with lots of water and puree in blender, foods processor or with a baby food grinder.<br><br>
Any veggies are great - green beans, zucchini, winter squash. Applesauce is great - make your own or get organic, unsweetened at the store. Pears are great too (cooked like applesauce).<br><br>
Here's a list of other finger food ideas:<br><br>
§Whole grain bread chunks<br>
§Diced avocado<br>
§Diced banana<br>
§Diced soft, very ripe fruit (mango, peach, canta-loupe, etc.)<br>
§Diced, cooked (very soft) vegetables (squash, pota-toes, carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower, etc.)<br>
§Rice cakes<br>
§Soft crackers<br>
§Well-cooked pasta

1 - 4 of 4 Posts