Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping someone could tel me how to go about making myself start lactating again. i never completely stopped but now i can only get a few drops out. i just started taking fenugrees seed pills and am pumping (the little milk that comes out) my son is almost two months old and wont take to the breast without a nipple shield because he has been bottle fed the lmonth and a half or so. i stopped breastfeeding because i got sick and didnt want him to get the meds i was on. also the meds the ER doc prescribed me made me way to tired to do anything (which meant feeding the baby and pumping were out of the question) i have been pumping for about a week but still am getting less than half an ounce total. as for the fenugreek, i have been taking it for about a week but only two pills a day. someone told me yesterday that i should be taking three pills four times a day so i increased to that amount last night and am waiting to see if that helps any. thanks for all your advice

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Domperidone will help a lot if you can get your hands on it. I am assuming you are in the US; I think there are some internet sources. The dosage my dr prescribed me is 2 10 mg pills, 4 times per day.

The other thing that works really well is tincture of blessed thistle. 40-50 drops in water, 3 times a day.

The other thing you really need to do is pump A LOT. I read your other post and I know you're working, but if you can pump every 2 hours it'll really help.

And good luck! I hope all your hard work pays off for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might talk with a Lactation Consultant about some strategies. I've been using MotherLove's MoreMilk Special Blend tincture. It tastes terrible, but mixed with a little cranberry juice, it's not too bad. They also have More Milk Plus (the only difference is the Plus doesn't have Goat's Rue, which helps with building breast tissue)

http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php

Good Luck

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have noticed that I produce more milk when I eat oatmeal, so try a big bowl every day. Pumping every 2 hours is important too.

It is so worth the cost to see a lactation consultant to help you relactate. Good luck!

·
Registered
615 Posts
This was posted on another board I go to about relactating:
Blessed Thistle instead of Milk Thistle. Goats Rue has been known to do AMAZING things, it is usually given to mommies who adopt who wish to lactate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.