Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping someone could tel me how to go about making myself start lactating again. i never completely stopped but now i can only get a few drops out. i just started taking fenugrees seed pills and am pumping (the little milk that comes out) my son is almost two months old and wont take to the breast without a nipple shield because he has been bottle fed the lmonth and a half or so. i stopped breastfeeding because i got sick and didnt want him to get the meds i was on. also the meds the ER doc prescribed me made me way to tired to do anything (which meant feeding the baby and pumping were out of the question) i have been pumping for about a week but still am getting less than half an ounce total. as for the fenugreek, i have been taking it for about a week but only two pills a day. someone told me yesterday that i should be taking three pills four times a day so i increased to that amount last night and am waiting to see if that helps any. thanks for all your advice

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have been at the relactating thing for about six months now and am getting about two ounces per side 2x per day on a good day. But I'm not supplementing either. I am going to be ordering a supplement from global drug next week to try and give my supply a kick. I'm also investing in a better pump {the lanisoh relable of the ameda pump} so I can increase my frequency as well as the quality of my pumping sessions. The two ounces has been something that has come about in the last month or so, I was getting only a quarter to half ounce total EVERY time up until I started working out again. Now I am getting two ounces first thing in the morning and about an hour after I work out {and I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't drink water or anything else during a workout} HTH

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The increase in fenugreek should help. Be sure you are pumping at least 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, eat well and drink lots of luids. Lots of skin to skin time with your baby should help those milk making hormones too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Congrats on deciding to relactate! You've gotten great advice so far. I guess the only thing is to ask if you can somehow use a lact-aid or SNS with a nipple shield? That would be a great help to your growing supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts