Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the header to try and better explain. lol

Have you ever done one? I've not...but my little one would love it, I think. She was looking at some activities & work on one topic of some friends...and she liked all the accumulated *stuff*. It's why I was asking about lapbooks.

So-- if you're not structured, have you ever done something like this, and how did it work out?

TIA

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Our homeschooling so far has included several relaxed, on-going unit studies. I don't really think of them that way, but I guess that's what we're doing.

Colwyn is really into dinosaurs, space, and knights. Right now we're focusing on knights, but it comes and goes.. sometimes we'll have a few weeks where all he wants to do is stuff about dinosaurs and he doesn't care at all about the others.

Basically, when I realize he's starting a new 'kick' on something (so far, we've always 'studied' things he initiates), I start with looking up good books to get from the library. I look for fiction and non-fiction. Then I look into what fieldtrips we can do.. if there are any museums, or any good special events in the local calendars. I'll look up crafts and activities that pertain to whatever it is we're studying, and I usually try to come up with some sort of game that involves a math skill. I'll also try to find any good websites that are relevant, or even documentaries, videos on YouTube, and CDs/music.

With all that in mind, I try to pick a few activities to do a week and let Colwyn know what things we're able to do, should he desire (he almost always agrees). We read the books we've picked out at naptime/bedtime or throughout the day when he feels like it.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it. To me, it's more like, "Colwyn seems to be interested in XYZ right now, what can I come up with that he'd really like to do?" We don't really end any of these unit studies, we just put them on hold for a while and come back later.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
if you specifically are interested in lapbooking, i'd suggest checking out www.handsofachild.com scroll down and click on their FREEBIE link that they change every few months. right now it's on "art appreciation". i love all of them! you can use the information to make it as difficult or as easy as you like - they're wonderful! maybe that will help you.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...well...I am not sure how to go about this...my dd looked at the lapbooks links-- thanks for Handsofachild, Eliza. It's religious, but it looks easy enough to work around...

My dd wants to put one together...are there *any* unschoolers who have done this sort of thing (lapbooks)? How did it go? How did you go about it?

I know you have to out there...share with me.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
Our homeschooling so far has included several relaxed, on-going unit studies. I don't really think of them that way, but I guess that's what we're doing.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it. To me, it's more like, "Colwyn seems to be interested in XYZ right now, what can I come up with that he'd really like to do?" We don't really end any of these unit studies, we just put them on hold for a while and come back later.
So, how does it go? What sort of projects have you done? Is there a point where something...like a lapbook (as an example) gets done.

We're read in themes lots, we've gone to the library to look for certain books, we've gone to the museum to look at related concepts, watched movies related to books and such etc. I guess those are unti studies...in a way...but in all these years, we've never had a written project like a lapbook that we did from start to finish, complete with maps, or other charts...although we've done graphs...and made maps...

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
We are unschoolers and Dom is researching creating a restaurant and Abigail just started her own newspaper.

I see them as VERY similiar to unit studies.

We have actually collected stuff for future notebooking and lapbooks.

As long as THEY choose to do it, we will do it.

PS I think it is fun

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Oh....so right now the set up is that each one has a 3 ring binder with clear page protectors in it. They also have access to unlimited paper to write/draw out there stuff.

They work on it every couple of days.

We also have collected stuff for "unit" type studies on: oceans, dinosaurs, sports, Little House series....ummmmm.....can't think of what else. But we haven't starting working on any of them. Just collecting so far.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
So, how does it go? What sort of projects have you done? Is there a point where something...like a lapbook (as an example) gets done.

We're read in themes lots, we've gone to the library to look for certain books, we've gone to the museum to look at related concepts, watched movies related to books and such etc. I guess those are unti studies...in a way...but in all these years, we've never had a written project like a lapbook that we did from start to finish, complete with maps, or other charts...although we've done graphs...and made maps...
We haven't done anything like a lapbook.. I'm not terribly interested in them myself, and I don't think my boys would care for them.

If your child is interested in making a lapbook, by all means, have fun with it. I have no idea what they entail, though, sorry.

I always thought of a unit study was just studying something in depth, whether or not there was a cohesive notebook/lapbook or whatever to tie it in at the end. When we're doing a bunch of related activities, we talk about how they're interrelated in a conversational sort of way (like after we dropped marbles into a pan of sand to mimic lunar craters, we watched a documentary that was about the moon, and I said, 'Oh, look, those look just like the craters we made, remember? We know how those were made.')

Actually, something that we're planning on doing that sort of counts as cohesive, I guess, is a giant chart of dinosaurs that I read about. We'll have a big poster board divided into Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous, and further divided into Carnivore and Herbivore. We have a bunch of dinosaur flashcards, so I thought that every day we'd look at one of the cards, read about the dinosaur, and tape it in the right spot. We'll also probably look at where they lived on the globe, or maybe print out a map and mark it up. I don't know what you're planning on studying, but I'm sure some topics could be sorted onto a chart like that.

I do like the idea of a binder that they can add to as they want.. when my kids are older and producing more 'written' work, we'll probably come up with a system like that. For right now, though, our unit studies usually include things that don't fit well into binders or lapbooks (fieldtrips, reenactments, science experiments, etc).

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I am coming out of my clueless closet and saying that I have no clue what a lapbook is (other than perhaps a book that fits across your lap?), so I will be googling asap.

Dd loves for me to give her "assignments" or unit studies sometimes. They usually center around the computer for references though. We've done it on the Rev war, the suffrage movement, human body, and etc.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Ok...well...I am not sure how to go about this...my dd looked at the lapbooks links-- thanks for Handsofachild, Eliza. It's religious, but it looks easy enough to work around...

hmmm...i've only ever used their freebies so i'm not positive about the other stuff they have - but none of there free ones i've used have been religious at all (like nada). i'll have to check out the art appreciation one. i printed it off last night, but i''ve not thumbed through it yet. good to know i guess, so i can throw that tidbit out there in the future

............welp, i just looked through the art appreciation lapbook...i'm not sure why you thought it was religious though. i didn't see anything at all like that. the lessons have tons of info though - and you can just pick & choose what interest your kiddos. the authors make the units to cover a wide variety of ages, allowing you to do them with multiple children. they're really fun! ....so you can just make it as simple or complex as your child desires

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
We're somewhere on the unschooling continuum....We downloaded a lapbook on Egyptian mummies that was a freebie at homeschoolestore. Dp and dd1 worked on it during dd2's naps for a week as a project to do together. It was a tremenous hit. dd1 really likes making books, so the mini-books were the deal.

I think that lapbooks can make a fun project if your kids are into that. froggurami is the local expert on them!

I'll try to bump the thread where I asked them to be explained.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
We're somewhere on the unschooling continuum....We downloaded a lapbook on Egyptian mummies that was a freebie at homeschoolestore. Dp and dd1 worked on it during dd2's naps for a week as a project to do together. It was a tremenous hit. dd1 really likes making books, so the mini-books were the deal.

I think that lapbooks can make a fun project if your kids are into that. froggurami is the local expert on them!

I'll try to bump the thread where I asked them to be explained.

that was a hands of a child lapbook freebie. i got that one too!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
liveandlearnpress.com also has a couple freebies on their website - All About Me (my 7 & 4 yr old boys did this last spring for their birthdays and loved it!) and About Apples (I haven't looked at it); there are a few more freebies if you join their yahoo group.

I guess we are relaxed/child lead hs'ers, but not unschoolers in that I encourage some academic-ish output, and the lapbooks are a fun way to do it. Last year my 7 year old was interested in a couple of foreign countries, so we did lapbooks on them - he chose the topics and books, and the structure of the lapbook was helpful in guiding him in doing research.

There are many people who also use lapbooks without the structured research/writing that HoaC and Live&Learn expect - you could use the format and include photos, ticket or brochures from places you visit, your children's art/writing on the subject, and it could still be compatible with unschooling - think of it as a mini-scrapbook about a specific topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.