Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is WAY early for this topic, but as I start considering how our household budget will change with the birth of our first child, I keep dreading making a decision about child care.

I live rural, but work urban. The options for child care closer to home are wayyyy more reasonably priced, but considerably less progressive. I've been paying attention to local facebook groups about what childcare options have the best reviews and feedback, and one that seems really cool and well-liked is at the Lutheran church. The kids learn things like gardening, pollination, beekeeping, lots of outdoor topics, nutrition, art, music, and so much more.

The only issue is that we are agnostic. The church child care of course includes weekly bible classes and "sermons" from the pastor. I don't plan on hiding anything from my future children about religion, but I wonder if putting them in a religious school would be confusing. I also wonder if I would be looked down on as an agnostic parent. Has anyone been in this situation? Any feedback?

I went to catholic school in highschool, even though my dad was agnostic. I really enjoyed the sense of community it provided, even though the catholic-based curriculum ended up distancing me more from the religion. I still think I turned out alright and still consider my old classmates as family. However- I was much older when I attended and could take the curriculum with a grain of salt :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't have any experience

with this either. Except that I was in Guides which had a religious component, and we were a distinctly non church going family. Like you said (about Catholic school) I was able to distinguish the difference between Guides culture and home culture, but that was just maybe one evening a week, and a good part of my summers. It was a little confusing, my parents told me to lie to the Guides leaders so I'd fit in. I guess it would depend on how much religious based culture was being conveyed and how, and if you are OK with it. Back when I was a kid, we had to say the Lord's Prayer every morning at school, and memorized Christmas carols for singalongs and concerts, so it wasn't a ginormous leap to go into Guides where we sang hymns, said grace at meals etc.. I'm not sure how apart your child would feel in that environment, can you talk to anyone in a similar situation?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know this is WAY early for this topic, but as I start considering how our household budget will change with the birth of our first child, I keep dreading making a decision about child care.

I live rural, but work urban. The options for child care closer to home are wayyyy more reasonably priced, but considerably less progressive. I've been paying attention to local facebook groups about what childcare options have the best reviews and feedback, and one that seems really cool and well-liked is at the Lutheran church. The kids learn things like gardening, pollination, beekeeping, lots of outdoor topics, nutrition, art, music, and so much more.

The only issue is that we are agnostic. The church child care of course includes weekly bible classes and "sermons" from the pastor. I don't plan on hiding anything from my future children about religion, but I wonder if putting them in a religious school would be confusing. I also wonder if I would be looked down on as an agnostic parent. Has anyone been in this situation? Any feedback?

I went to catholic school in highschool, even though my dad was agnostic. I really enjoyed the sense of community it provided, even though the catholic-based curriculum ended up distancing me more from the religion. I still think I turned out alright and still consider my old classmates as family. However- I was much older when I attended and could take the curriculum with a grain of salt :)
@hi_i_am_leah

First off -- it's NOT too early to start looking at childcare options. With my first we got onto wait lists for multiple churches and centers at 15-weeks pregnant and are technically still on some of them -- my little guy is now 19-month old. I actually signed this one up for the wait list today at approximately 5w+3 :bigeyes

Let me preface the next part of my reply by stating that we are practicing Catholics. Our son is now at a faith-based daycare out of a non-denomination church -- we had hoped to send him to a Catholic daycare, but see wait list issues above. We're STILL on that one, but likely won't change even if two spots opened up simply because we LOVE the care he's getting now. And we had a crazy regretful stint with one of the university coops. Never again.

Everyone at the current daycare is extremely loving and I think because many of them consider this to be their "calling" that they really truly want what's best for each child. Our difference in religious affiliation isn't questioned (which *can* be interesting at times), I think there may have been a line on the application form?

That said we haven't had any problems personally about them teaching bible stories or the ten commandments since it still lines up with their views, it would be post-preschool education that would worry me the most. I doubt that if you were to enroll your child you'd have any problems. If you really think it might prove to be a problem outright ask if it would be when you tour the center. Lots of local moms I know identify as agnostic/atheist and I haven't heard of them having problems when their kids go to faith-based daycares/preschools. A lot of them have raved that the curriculum is actually better in many cases at the religion-based places.

If I were you I'd start asking for tours and if you get a good feeling from what you see get on the wait list now! And get on it for several ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts