Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a woman on another board who will be moving to KS soon. She wants to get a religious exemption for her daughter, but everyone is trying to scare her out of it (it's not a non-vax friendly board). I assured her that it shouldn't be too difficult, but I wanted to hear from others in Kansas who had done it. Is is as simple as it seems? Were there any problems?

I did a pdf file of the form over on the vax forum. Is there anything else she should know?

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's never been a problem for us, even in our small private school. Just sign the form and hand it in. Don't say anything more and gently remind anybody that may ask that they are not allowed to question her religion.

The biggest problem I had was with WIC almost 5 years ago. They insisted on vax records to prove DS1's identity. I had to drive to the doc and get a blank card so they could "know who he was." But that problem is not Kansas specific from what I've heard.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a friend that filled hers out last year and all she had to do was fill it out and she didn't have to have any religous person/minister/whatever sign it she had no problems

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! That's pretty much what I told her. Thanks for confirming it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Is this in reference to relgious exemption for vaccination? I am kind of curious, as that does not exist over here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi, I'm an ex-Kansan, and I did the exemption form for ds' daycare, and everything was perfectly ok. I got no trouble at all.

Quote:
Don't say anything more and gently remind anybody that may ask that they are not allowed to question her religion.
I second that.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavinaT
Hi,

Is this in reference to relgious exemption for vaccination? I am kind of curious, as that does not exist over here.
Yes, it is for vaccination. KS accepts both religious and medical exemptions.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Here are the forms

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/kansas.htm

Everyone should be accepting philosophical now shouldn't they? It was found Unconstitutional to take religious and not philosophical

Quote:
On the U.S. Supreme Court level in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, it was found that a state may not deny an exemption simply because a person is not a member of a formal religious organization.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
On the U.S. Supreme Court level in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, it was found that a state may not deny an exemption simply because a person is not a member of a formal religious organization.

This means a person can hold a personal religious belief rather than adhere to a denomination whose tenets oppose immunziation. The belief must still be religious.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Whew. Glad I found this. The wording on the exemption on vaclib scared me. I was hoping to move somewhere with the phil exemption, but Kansas is looking more optimistic now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The messages above mention "filling out a form" is there a specific form for exemptions in KS? The link shown shows an example letter and the requirements. I guess what I am asking is, does a person request a specific form then fill it out, or do they write a letter on their own from scratch? I, too, have been negative about moving to KS because of the vaccination language. However, if there are real live cases of people exempting their kids and still going to school (and not getting harrassed about it) I may keep an open mind.

Thank for the input moms!

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
I just filled out a form they had at the health center (for me, for KU, so it may be a little different). I think most schools have the forms, and you just ask for one. When I did a philosophical exemption in Caliofrnia for my daughter it was the same thing... they just gave me a form, and I basically checked a box and signed it.

dar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I just filled out a form they had at the health center (for me, for KU, so it may be a little different). I think most schools have the forms, and you just ask for one. When I did a philosophical exemption in Caliofrnia for my daughter it was the same thing... they just gave me a form, and I basically checked a box and signed it.

dar
Thanks for the input. Any other experiences?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts