Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My partner, our 8 month old, and our Golden Retriever are looking to make a move from Juneau, Alaska to Hawaii. We would prefer the Big Island but would consider anywhere (beside Honolulu) where we can find employment. We are tired of the dark weather here in Southeast Alaska but not willing to sacrifice the simple lifestyle found on an island.
Everything we've read and all the people we talk to mostly mention the high cost of living (which we also have here in Juneau). My question for all of the mothers in Hawaii is: Is it possible to live (simply) without working two jobs and having no time to spend with the kids? I would love to hear a little about how you have made a life in Hawaii and how you feel about it as a place for children to grow up.
Any insight would be extremely helpful. We are hesitant to move our family without a realistic idea of what the move and prospects entail.
Thank you kindly...hope to hear some feedback soon.
Akela
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
not sure where to start...I live on Hawaii, the "big island", Kona side, in South Kona, about 35 minutes from Kailua-Kona. I do feel that Hawaii is a nice place to raise kids; year round outdoor play, beaches, nature, open space (we live on a 10 acre farm), I have fmaily here, etc. With that said, I also believe plan to travel with my child - so that she has a larger sense of the world, not just a small island menality. along with that, smoking pot is WAY "the norm" here and is easy for pre-teen youth to get sucked into - so open relationships with your child/ren is important, but that is also a reality in parts of AK as well (my husband lived there for 6 years before moving here)...financially, hmm...all depends...in Hawaii you can own your land or "lease" it from an old monarchs trust, Kamehameha Schools, aka Bishop, and that is much more financially available than the other...we have that which allows me to stay homw with dd, and my husband has a good business. so, financially it works for us, some other mamas may have more input on that issue. good luck with your decision making, Hawaii is wonderful :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm on the East (Hilo) side of the island and it's much cheaper to live here than most places in the state. That said, the cost of real estate is going up hugely and rents also, but there is still a lot of unchartered territory and place available.
Problem here is that there are few jobs. most people I know do several things to make a living. I believe it's easy to get by and live decently, but not easy on this side of the island to make a lot of money.

It's a great place to raise kids. Our children have so much freedom to be outside and have a great life. We also travel (at least to visit family on the mainland) because it's also important to me that they see a bigger picture. Life on a rock can get small sometimes. And there are definitely people who've never been off the island.

I don't know many families with 2 incomes, so i'd say it's definitely possible to live here on one income.

Living in Hawaii is awesome- and something I'm thankful for every day!

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
I can't give you any input on living here without working since we are military. I did want to chime in about bringing your dog, though. Unless you want your dog to spend 4 months in a small cage on Oahu, made even harder if you move to one of the other islands since you wouldn't be able to visit the dog much, make sure you get everything taken care of early enough so that you can qualify for the shorter quarantine times. Since we moved here they've shortened the time to as little as either 3 or 5 days (I can't remember) if you meet all the requirements. These include getting a microchip put in your animal, having all rabies shots up to date and having rabies tests done after you get the microchip but several months before you move here. That may not be all the requirements. You can look up the info on the web or maybe call the County of Honolulu to get more info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in Honolulu.
You said you wouldn't want to live in Honolulu, but one thing I would be concerned about is school. I'm not sure if you are planning on homeschooling or what, but I would definitely check out the schools. I have heard they aren't the best. If money is tight, and you wouldn't be able to pay for private schools this could be a problem.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.