Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to be really careful with dryness in winter or i get dry skin eczema. (i have KP already, so my skin is terribly dry even when not pregnant) well i guess being pregnant has made it worse and here it is not even novemeber and i have eczema! it's under my boobs, on my ears and my inner legs. its not bad yet, but itchy already.

i use emu oil soap in the winter and take fish oil already.

thoughts about what remedies might help?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I deal with periodic bouts of eczema, as well. My naturopath gave me some guidelines that seem to help me:

-Flaxseed oil, 1 TBLS per 100 lbs of body weight daily
-Evening Primrose oil, around 1000 mg daily
-Drink plenty of water
-Avoid long hot soaks in the tub
-Keep skin very moisturized. As gross as this sounds, she said Crisco is a fantastic temporary spot treatment for eczema because it creates such a strong moisture barrier. ('Temporary' because Crisco contains hydrogenated oils that are not the best things for us whether taken internally, or applied topically).
-I've had the most success with a mixture of evening primrose oil, (squeezed right out of the capsule), mixed with a few drops of high quality Lavender essential oil, (Elizabeth Van Buren is a pretty good mail-order source), applied topically to the affected areas.

Good luck, and congratulations!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EPO should not be used when you are pregnant. it softens and ripens the cervix, which is good in the last few weeks of pregnancy but not at 25 weeks.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
A good barrier cream might work. I make do with a salve containing beeswax. It works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I've had some pretty good luck with raw shea butter as a barrier. I get mine from Mountain Rose Herbs.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just discovered my friend the herbalist has this remedy:

X-zema Balm

A lovely soft salve for relief of dry flaky skin from eczema or psoriasis. Extremely effective, and even safe for babies! Includes Chickweed, St John's Wort & Calendula. Here is a comment from a happy customer: Dana wanted me to let you know that the eczema balm is working great for Caroline! She said it's the best results she's had with anything she's used for this problem!

and this too!

Breast & Belly Balm

A softer salve, formulated especially for expanding bellies and breasts of pregnant women. Also encourages healthy lymphatic drainage and is wonderful for massaging into cyctic breasts, as well. Contains cocoa & coconut butters, Olive oil, beeswax and Calendula. 2 oz cobalt jar

here's the link if you want to browse

http://www.herbsfromthelabyrinth.com...t=3&cart=38070

i guess i'l be ordering from her again!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have eczema year-round but it definitely gets worse in the winter. In fact I had an awful rash just yesterday
:. My strategy is to shower with cool water and a very mild soap every other day, moisturize immediately after with a sensitive skin lotion and avoid using perfumed clothes detergent. When the itching gets really bad I'll use a little Hydrocortizone cream.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup stacy, i have to do all that in the winter usually just to avoid getting it!

guess my skin is just super sensitive.

i wash my clothes with just a small amount of detergent (dye free stuff) and a cup of baking soda, and rinse with a cup of vinegar. it works really well to get rid of all the build up on the clothes and gets rid of static too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
honeybeedreams,
I'm glad to see this thread...I'm in your DDC and my eczema is driving me insane! I've been using shea butter with some success...I'll go check out that link. LMK if it works for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.