Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having on and off nausea for about two weeks now. Thankfully, no puking. I didn't really have this with my first until right at the end before I delivered.

Are there any remedies other than ginger? I have a pretty severe allergy to ginger that borders on becoming anaphylactic. :eek I contacted the people at Preggo Pops and they have flavors that don't contain ginger. I don't know that i can get away with a lollipop all day at work, though...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
981 Posts
From what I remember, there are acupressure points on your wrist that can help relieve nausea. I don't remember the specifics of where exactly but I bet you can google it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Preggie Pops I have are the drops that don't have a stick, I prefer them (though I HATE the tangerine flavor). They're sour enough that it helps. I don't really like the taste of ginger though, so even though I have some and everyone says it works, I prefer hard sour candies or peppermints. I also have bad nausea, and did for 8 weeks with my first. I have found this time that the thing that helps most of all is eating every two hours - the hungrier I let myself get, the harder it is to get the nausea under control. I have given up trying to eat healthy and just eat whatever sounds good - cheeseburgers, junk food, etc. It really does help. The acupressure wrist bands (Sea Bands) help some, but not a lot (for me at least). Smelling lemons or putting lemon essential oil in a diffuser also helps a bit.

Hope it eases up for you soon... I am counting the days until the 2nd trimester!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I second the peppermint. I also remember my ob telling me to take regular benedryl and a b vitamin.. Can't remember which though.. To combat my m/s last time. You probably want to double check with your doctor though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
My midwife says Unisom & B6 helps. I haven't been able to stomach my prenatals lately, or any pills for that matter!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
@sarahl918 I'm having problems stomaching my prenatals too, ugh. I switched to gummy prenatals which has helped a bit, but they don't have iron. I'm just trying to eT enough iron rich foods to make up for it, but hopefully my doctor will write me a Rx for vitafol again. They weren't too hard on my stomach but helped when I was borderline anemic.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas, ladies! I will definitely try the peppermint and lemon EO. I have been trying to nibble throughout the day and it does seem to help prevent nausea from getting worse.

I also had to switch my prenatal - I couldn't stand the taste! I am taking a gummy multivitamin and iron capsules (I'm anemic to begin with, and I got REALLY anemic during my first pregnancy). I did find some iron that is gentle on the stomach. They don't bother mine, and I take my meds in the morning on an empty stomach. There is also a chewable iron you can get on Amazon from Nature's Best that is good, but I got tired of them after a few years, so made a switch recently. They seemed to absorb really well, too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just wanted to commiserate. I am not puking (knock on wood) but am feeling nauseated...ALL. THE. TIME. It is less severe in the morning and gets worse throughout the day. I know I should eat little bits of food every couple hours but I am having the hardest time making myself eat anything. I am kinda scared when I think I am only 8 1/2 weeks. Trying to take it one day at a time... it doesn't necessarily have to get worse, right??

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hang in there everyone dealing with morning sickness I've been really nauseated since last weekend, I feel your pain! I've been eating lime and lemon Popsicles to help with mine.
@FluffyFlamingo I don't know how I didn't think to take some kind of iron separately. I'll have to check out the brands you said are gentle.
@campbellsoup I'm with you. Just nauseous cooooonstantly. I actually threw up today for the first time I'm hoping it doesn't get worse either since I'm not even 7 weeks yet. I hope yours settles down soon!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am throwing up a lot at least 3X a day. It sucks. I am 8w2d. It definitely got worse this past weekend. 12 weeks seems so far away. Lemon isn't helping. I haven't tried ginger because I generally don't like it. Has anyone tried seabands? Where would I get those b

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am with you ladies. I feel like I want to smack myself in the comment above listing all these remedies because now that I'm back in the thick of it NOTHING WORKS. I wish I could throw up, but it's just nausea all day, all night. Less severe in the morning like someone else mentioned, but gets worse and worse through the day. I'm 8 weeks today and I am really hoping it eases up soon... I have heard it can be worst 8-10 weeks but for me last time, I think it started to improve around 9 weeks. I am PRAYING that is the case again....
@JuniperC you can get the seabands on amazon or at a drugstore!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Oh sweet relief... I finally yakked for the first time tonight and even though I had the shakes and a raw throat I felt instantly better ...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide if I should just go get it over with and throw up now, or wait and see if it gets better. Oh joy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh sweet relief... I finally yakked for the first time tonight and even though I had the shakes and a raw throat I felt instantly better ...
So... it is getting more difficult to hold back the urge to yak. I just don't know if it is worth it anymore. Just curious, how long did you feel relief from the unrelenting nausea after you puked? I can't believe I am reduced to these thoughts. I have never experienced M/S this bad before. And this isn't my first rodeo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh yeah, it should be called "evening sickness" instead. I can hardly make dinner and clean up the kitchen afterwards. Thank goodness for slow cookers! I was eating pretty healthy, strict paleo before I found out I was pregnant and now I am just eating crap. I have to stop eating sugar because I now have a yeast infection, blah! I think I could stomach good food but I just don't feel like going through all the effort to chop the veggies and cook the food and clean up afterwards. We are super rural so takeout is not an option. What makes me feel better is getting outside for a walk or laying down and surfing the web.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm sorry you're feeling so awful @campbellsoup :( for me, it's pretty hit or miss with how much better I feel after throwing up. I think it depends on if it's "productive" or just dry heaves. Ugh, what an unpleasant conversation to have to have! I hope it eases up on you!

I've been eating crap too @2babies2kidsmom . Way too much fast or frozen food, not enough balanced meals. It's hard when you feel this cruddy though! Luckily (sorta) I've been having aversions to really sweet sugary things. So I guess it's good that I'm not also craving sweets. I agree- thank God for the slow cooker!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
@campbellsoup I felt better for a couple hours, and then I went to bed. Today wasn't as bad as days past, but like someone else mentioned, it should be called evening sickness. So much worse at night!! Right around the time I put my daughter to bed (7) is when I start to feel horrid.

I am also having aversions to sweet and sugary things. I can't even drink the Seagrams or schwepps ginger ale. Finding something appetizing with protein is increasingly difficult!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I forgot how rough the first tri is! I feel rotten today. Then I got in an argument with my husband because he plans to spend all day tomorrow working on a house project, and I just need a freaking break. Which I won't get. I watch a little boy at our house 5 days a week along with our daughter. I deserve a weekend too

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Ah crap, disregard that post. I thought I was in the general chat thread! I'll just repost there. Sorry!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is getting worse. Seabands don't work. I have been at work for 7 hours now and I have thrown up 5 times. I look like ass and feel like ass. I have shit to do for the next 5 hours.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts