Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's doing a routine at the LLL founder's dinner!

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/10/prweb448232.htm

Quote:
I am honored that La Leche League wants me to perform at the Founders' Dinner. What I love about performing for La Leche League is that no one there ever asks me what the comedy club's gatekeeper asked me the night that I was barred: 'What is the medical term for what you're doing with that baby?' I think everyone at the La Leche League Founders' Dinner will know that it's called breastfeeding."
ETA: Please see below. It turns out she has some pretty offensive viewpoints. I may end up writing a letter to LLL opposing this instead.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Here's a quote:

Quote:
As we head toward this brave new world, let us not blame only homosexual activists for leading us away from true family. The people who approved of stranger adoption and who sat silently while fertility doctors performed their hocus pocus to create babies in a test tube are now reaping what has been sown. When mothers cease to exist, we will have only ourselves to blame.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparklefairy View Post
To me, this one essay seems to be an amalgam of sense and nonsense.

Most of the time, I don't know what point she's trying to make, which to me says poor writing more than anything else.
She's saying you're not a mother if you didn't give birth. And the ppd quote seems pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I scrolled down to where she started talking about artificialness - ooh I am so mad now. I went through heck and back to try to get pg. I wanted badly to be a mother so I adopted. I bf my ds. Before I could even get my first AF after weaning, we conceived our dd. I don't think anyone should be ostracized bc they had to go through IVF or adoption to become a family.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Wow she's offnsive. I wonder what she proposes to do with the unwanted children since it seems to be wrong to adopt? Force their birth mothers, no mattr what state they may be in, to care for them.
:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quote:
fertility doctors performed their hocus pocus to create babies in a test tube are now reaping what has been sown. When mothers cease to exist, we will have only ourselves to blame.
Well, I place the blame for me being a mother squarely at the feet of my fertility doctor. Without her hocus pocus my wonderful child would never have landed in that test tube.

Those essays are hateful and ignorant. And here I thought LLL was about breastfeeding and mothering.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What a confused person. She contradicted herself more than once in her overly-long tirade. I couldn't help but think as I was reading her essays, though: she's a comic?? Where's the funny stuff? I think I expected her to be more like Catherine Newman, getting her point across with wry wit and wisdom.

Anyway, I feel sad for her and anyone else giving all their energy to such negative thoughts and feelings, but what the heck is someone like this doing speaking at the LLL Founder's Dinner???

Serendipity

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Wow, I thought she would be cool, but this woman is BITTER. I often wonder what makes someone spend so much energy hating on the homosexuals. I mean, really. Is my little syringe baby really doing so much harm to the American family?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.